free website stats program What filter wrench? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What filter wrench?

Filter_Wrench.jpg

Not sure what the problem is. This is the filter wrench I use for my Ultra and Dyna. It works like a champ. You just need to make sure that the notch is aligned with the crank sensor when installing/removing.

Have the same one from JP cycle :D

Have the same one from JP cycle :D

Yeah, this is the one that wont work on the Heritage. Its not about the notch, its about the ridge around the edge, there's not enough space between it and the engine block for it to fit solidly. I demonstrated how it wont work to the dealer today, they swapped it out for a strap wrench, which worked great.

Thanks, Smitty - the dealer swapped the one they sold me for the strap wrench. Its still pretty cramped under there, and the filter was on pretty tight, but I eventually got it.

I cant remember if I read it on this forum, but whoever suggested cutting off the end of a 1 liter bottle to slip over the filter once its able to be hand loosened, and twisting the filter off with it on there, that was a great idea, saved a lot of oil spillage.

See post #34 below

http://www.hdtimeline.com/sportster..._oil_change_take_it_in_or_do_it_yourself.html

Only problem is what do they consider "-normal fittings clearance..." as Glider pointed out there is wiring bundle going down the side on my Sporty that would not allow you to swing the wrench between the frame tubes. If I saw that "trick" Billet Wrench I may have bought it just for the looks...but the Sears one is still the bargain, and type I used on all my other bikes from smooth to fluted tops. There is also TQ's tried and true screwdriver in the side bit, just be careful and don't go crazy and ding up tender bits. In a crunch in the early days when chrome was so popular and the service provider only had strap types in the tool box. I like the three finger one to keep the "clutter" down in my tool drawers.

Last edited:
I had no idea the clearance was that tight on a Sporty. Wow, there must be no room at all. At least you found something that fits.

Why pay $20?... I cut mine from a durable Ocean Spray Cranberry plastic jug. Save cap top 1/4 portion and left side for reservoir/windage tray, tapering 1/2 way down to the bottom, easily trims out and shapes a bit closer to the oil filter profile. Use 3 finger filter wrench to loosen, slip the tray underneath and did not spill a drop on the motor or mount below. Wipe the old bottle down and reuse it...no muss or fuss. :bigsmiley24:

DSCN0789-1.jpg

DSCN0793-1.jpg

Back