free website stats program What filter wrench? | Harley Davidson Forums

What filter wrench?

Keithhu

A few weeks ago the dealership sold me a Drag Specialties filter wrench and insisted it would fit. Its the kind you use with a ratchet, and it has a notch out to accommodate some fittings nearby.

Today I was changing my oil in preparation for winter storage. I have a 2010 FLSTC.

The filter is just too close to the engine block. The wrench *would* fit, but there's a small ridge around it and it will not seat squarely on the filter and it just slips off when I try to turn it.

There must be a better wrench - any suggestions?

Also, the oil (AMSoil) that I drained out and the filter only have about 800 miles on them. Is it ok to just put 2.5-3qts of oil in it and drive it in the spring with the existing filter?

Terrific, thanks. It has an HD logo, so I'm assuming the dealerships sell them, silly to pay $6 shipping for a $10 item.

If you use the Drag Specialties Oil Filter...it has no flutes for that end cap type filter to grip to...I use a three finger type that fits on the end of a 3/8" reversable ratchet, and it does not matter if the filter is smooth or fluted:

Crazyfrog found the Craftsman equivalent of my Snap-On one that I use only a lot cheaper at $12.99, it is worth the money.

02820523000-2

Automatically tightens when torque applied in either direction
Use 3/8 in. square drive ratchet or 3/4 in. wrench to turn
Black oxide finish resists rust and corrosion
Sturdy steel construction for durability

Last edited:
A few weeks ago the dealership sold me a Drag Specialties filter wrench and insisted it would fit. Its the kind you use with a ratchet, and it has a notch out to accommodate some fittings nearby.

Today I was changing my oil in preparation for winter storage. I have a 2010 FLSTC.

The filter is just too close to the engine block. The wrench *would* fit, but there's a small ridge around it and it will not seat squarely on the filter and it just slips off when I try to turn it.

There must be a better wrench - any suggestions?

Also, the oil (AMSoil) that I drained out and the filter only have about 800 miles on them. Is it ok to just put 2.5-3qts of oil in it and drive it in the spring with the existing filter?

I think the vast majority of us would recommend a new filter anytime you put in new oil.

I think the vast majority of us would recommend a new filter anytime you put in new oil.

Absolutely! In fact for a while after my roller chain conversion, I was changing my filter after about 1,000 miles. Two "interim" filter changes between oil changes. When these filters pack off and start to by-pass, essentially there is NO filter on the engine.

TQ

Filter_Wrench.jpg

Not sure what the problem is. This is the filter wrench I use for my Ultra and Dyna. It works like a champ. You just need to make sure that the notch is aligned with the crank sensor when installing/removing.

Filter_Wrench.jpg

Not sure what the problem is. This is the filter wrench I use for my Ultra and Dyna. It works like a champ. You just need to make sure that the notch is aligned with the crank sensor when installing/removing.

Same one I use. I borrowed the HD one from a friend and bought one without the cut out. I used the HD one as a guide and cut out the other with a jig saw. Saved some money and it works great.

I know it is over the top, but I just can't resist the Bling of CNC items.:p

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 51
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 46
Back