What filter wrench?

Discussion in 'Oil' started by Keithhu, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Keithhu

Keithhu Active Member

A few weeks ago the dealership sold me a Drag Specialties filter wrench and insisted it would fit. Its the kind you use with a ratchet, and it has a notch out to accommodate some fittings nearby.

Today I was changing my oil in preparation for winter storage. I have a 2010 FLSTC.

The filter is just too close to the engine block. The wrench *would* fit, but there's a small ridge around it and it will not seat squarely on the filter and it just slips off when I try to turn it.

There must be a better wrench - any suggestions?

Also, the oil (AMSoil) that I drained out and the filter only have about 800 miles on them. Is it ok to just put 2.5-3qts of oil in it and drive it in the spring with the existing filter?

2. Keithhu

Keithhu Active Member

3. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

4. Keithhu

Keithhu Active Member

Terrific, thanks. It has an HD logo, so I'm assuming the dealerships sell them, silly to pay $6 shipping for a $10 item.

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

If you use the Drag Specialties Oil Filter...it has no flutes for that end cap type filter to grip to...I use a three finger type that fits on the end of a 3/8" reversable ratchet, and it does not matter if the filter is smooth or fluted:

Crazyfrog found the Craftsman equivalent of my Snap-On one that I use only a lot cheaper at $12.99, it is worth the money.

[​IMG]
    Automatically tightens when torque applied in either direction
    Use 3/8 in. square drive ratchet or 3/4 in. wrench to turn
    Black oxide finish resists rust and corrosion
    Sturdy steel construction for durability

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  6. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I think the vast majority of us would recommend a new filter anytime you put in new oil.

7. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Absolutely! In fact for a while after my roller chain conversion, I was changing my filter after about 1,000 miles. Two "interim" filter changes between oil changes. When these filters pack off and start to by-pass, essentially there is NO filter on the engine.

TQ

8. RetiredJake

RetiredJake Junior Member

[​IMG]

Not sure what the problem is. This is the filter wrench I use for my Ultra and Dyna. It works like a champ. You just need to make sure that the notch is aligned with the crank sensor when installing/removing.

9. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

Same one I use. I borrowed the HD one from a friend and bought one without the cut out. I used the HD one as a guide and cut out the other with a jig saw. Saved some money and it works great.

10. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I know it is over the top, but I just can't resist the Bling of CNC items.:p

Attached Files:

• #1.jpg
      #1.jpg
      File size:
      111.6 KB
      Views:
    • #2.jpg
      #2.jpg
      File size:
      102.1 KB
      Views: