free website stats program What filter wrench? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

What filter wrench?

I have made a dozen of these things and have never gotten one to work right. Wind up spilling a bunch of oil every time. Obviously not doing something right, either in my drip pan design of in the execution. Frustration is what makes me ask where to get the commercially made one.

I have made a dozen of these things and have never gotten one to work right. Wind up spilling a bunch of oil every time. Obviously not doing something right, either in my drip pan design of in the execution. Frustration is what makes me ask where to get the commercially made one.

Actually it's called;
"Greg’s Drip Free Oil Filter Funnel", and if you type that in you'll find several sites that have it. eBay has it.

Apparently you punch a drain hole on the top of filter,(hope you don't hit your bike) spin it 180 degrees and then the hole that was on top it is now on the bottom and it is supposed to start draining in the trough into I guess into another container that you place over the drain. That's my take on it anyway. Not exactly sure how it stays in place though.......

if you use a funnel to keep the oil off the engine you have to punch a hole in the filter. I just use the screwdriver in the hole to loosen it to where i can hand turn it:small3d036:

I had no idea the clearance was that tight on a Sporty. Wow, there must be no room at all. At least you found something that fits.

It's a nightmare getting onto the filter on a Sporty Hoople. I was thinking up some strong new words last week trying to get it off with a strap wrench - the access is very very tight. When you get the strap on - you can't twist the handle for lack of room, when you have it positioned so that you can twist the handle - there is so little of the (metallic) strap on the filter that it won't grip. I think I'll stab it (carefully) next time with a screw driver or get one of those three prong wrenches to give it a go :D.

I use Snap On filter pliars no problems so far u can get cheaper ones at Harbor Freight

Cedarbrook63, use the Sears 3 finger type and the "modified" juice bottle as a drain tray outlined earlier in this thread. It works like a champ and you won't spill a drop. Drinking healthier Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice (my gal watches over me) instead of Liter Pepsi's and Dr Pepper's have improved my thirst binges (though a glass of wine still does it for me a bit more during dinner). Also, don't forget to put a light film of clean oil on the new oil filter gasket and only hand tighten it back on (you do not need to "muscle" it, just install "firmly").

Cedarbrook63, use the Sears 3 finger type and the "modified" juice bottle as a drain tray outlined earlier in this thread. It works like a champ and you won't spill a drop. Drinking healthier Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice (my gal watches over me) instead of Liter Pepsi's and Dr Pepper's have improved my thirst binges (though a glass of wine still does it for me a bit more during dinner). Also, don't forget to put a light film of clean oil on the new oil filter gasket and only hand tighten it back on (you do not need to "muscle" it, just install "firmly").

Sound counsel as always :D. The muscle application had come from my local dealership at the 1k service, at one point I was starting to think it's used red loctite for a laugh!!. I read the very good info in our forum here on oil change for a Sporty before I went to work.
My imbibing tastes run with yours too!! Next time, I'll have my surgically enhanced plastic bottle. It'd be great if we had Sears and Walmart here in UK - it's a lot trickier and more expensive to buy "basic" stuff for your bike over here. Smaller market I suppose....

p.s. hope you've had some good news recently btw :D

Back