free website stats program Want Your Perspective: RG and Saddlebag Guard Rails | Harley Davidson Forums

Want Your Perspective: RG and Saddlebag Guard Rails

revok1200

Have an 06' RG and know someone with an 08' EG. EG has the full saddlebag guard rail setup and my RG has just the standard single rail under the bags. Thinking about swapping the rail support setups. As far as I can tell, the 06 and the 08 should be a one for one swap without a problem. I am thinking about doing it, I have often wanted to add the guard rail up front to be able to put on the Water Bottle bag for long trips.

Now the real question, What is your oppinion about how the RG looks with the guard rails, I know I can set it up with just the front bracket and keep the side rails off.

Anyone done this? Are there any problems to be aware of?

I think it would look very nice with the chrome rails around the saddlebags, they make the bike look finished.

I put the rails on my 92 FLHS I liked the looks and added protection for the bags, The rear engine guard I think has a water bottle set up, I had an extra bag by H D that snapped on the right side probably not available from H D any more:s

You will have a very unique looking bike with complete package. Might consider crash bars for added tip over protection for they save the boxes.

I think the rails look good around the bags (I have them). Be careful when you order the bag guard bottle holder. The rear crash bars for bikes without rails are slightly different than those with, and the holder won't fit properly, I know from experience:small3d007: Look in the P&A catalog, kinda confusing.

Totally your call.

Personally, I like the clean look of the saddlebags without any guards like on my SG, even though I know I'm subjecting myself to the risk of a large repair bill if I ever tip it over on a bag.

I have an 08 EGC. I like the look of the bike w/o the guard rails but like the protection the rails offer. I can tell you from experience, they will save you a lot of money in repairs should you ever (when) you drop your scoot. Go with the rails.

Appreciate all your views, advice, and wisdom. You have given me some things to think about. I agree about the look of a clean bike, but I am on my 2nd set of bags. I have also thought about the fact that if I trade out my standard single bar support for the full support of the rails and don't like the look, it is cheaper to buy another set of standard RG bag supports than to buy the full set of guard rails.

I will post some pics before and after if I decide to swap out the rails.

Thanks for your views.

i like the clean look of no rails but stuff happens out there so i keep the rails on it , simple mishap in driveway can kill the bag

Back