free website stats program VIN blockedby selling dealer | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

VIN blockedby selling dealer

what i was told by banks is that redline is too stiff for a complex trans like the cruise drive 6. gm at annapolis hd (owner's hq) told me that is all that should be used in a harley and the fact that there was some quality lube is probably what saved it from being a basket case. still using redline only 80w green now.

@ Bodeen- it was Redline Shockproof 75w140 and was used in the trans 10 ultra. unfortunately the trans was not filled to correct level. yes, i already contacted Redline last year and told them.

I am ignorant about the Redline product you speak of. Does it look different that others? I guess my question is: If the Redline does not look different that other transmission fluids, how did the dealer know it was Redline? Did you underfill the tranny or did the dealer?

Last edited:
I am ignorant about the Redline product you speak of. Does it look different that others? I guess my question is: If the Redline does not look different that other transmission fluids, how did the dealer know it was Redline?

The redline shock proof looks like pepto bismol in color and texture. It can't be mistaken for any other gear oil.

i specifically requested redline since spectro is not available locally that i can find. i have usedredline 75w140 for a while in my 01 rk police. based on what i've seen here, the advice is top shelf and it is a clean site. i also had mobil 1 v twin 20-50 installed. paid an extra premium for these fluids even tho the southern stores sells them off the shelf-duh! receipt shows what was ordered and used and what i paid (ouch!). switched to 80w green redliine after teardown. will probably pump half a tube of grease in it next along w/ heavy gear oil. something just has to give. either it breaks completely or it gets better:bigsmiley11:

" specifically requested redline since spectro is not available locally that i can find. i have usedredline 75w140 for a while in my 01 rk police. based on what i've seen here, the advice is top shelf and it is a clean site. i also had mobil 1 v twin 20-50 installed. paid an extra premium for these fluids even tho the southern stores sells them off the shelf-duh! receipt shows what was ordered and used and what i paid (ouch!). "

Glimmerman you did this through the Harley dealer where you bought the bike ? Did they tell you at the time you were voiding your warranty ? Did you sign an acknowledgement as such that you were aware of there recomendations against using products other than HD ? and that by doing so were assuming all liability ? If they did the work and said nothing but now want to scream jahnky oil caused all of your problems, I would say nuff said and lawyer up, How much legal council can you get for the 8 grand you are all ready looking at loosing. I do not have the fine print of the warranty on a new bike , this is just my opinion. Tim

In todays world mfrs. are getting real picky about warrenties and fluids.
For example the GM car my wife bought requires the use of Mobil 1 or the warrenty will be void.
I know about Mikes [we call it infamous Mikes] real bad to deal with!

Did you change the trans oil or did Mikes do it?
If Mikes did it, as a previous post ask, did they have you sign a waiver? Did anyone specifically tell you the warrenty would be void? Did you point these things out to the factory rep?
As for a lawyer you will have a hard time finding one to take the case, there's no money in it as far as a settlement, been there. I don't know how De. works, but I would try small claims court, you may get lucky and win a judgement, you don't need a lawyer there.
I wish you luck with this problem. Keep us posted.

the whole nut centers around the trans not being filled by MIKE'S FAMOUS at the 1k service. it went south after they accused me of lying and causing trouble. when i said "litigation" to customer service in milwaukee last april it was whoa boy circle the wagons and we gotta do something. Hannum's was originally going to put in a new box just to gig mike's but the service manager got canned before we could make this happen. have been thru 2 s/m at hannum's since. like a gov. conspiracy, all the parties w/ the truth just disappear. i'm surely in the twilight zone and the fluid fairy has found my bike.
only 4 months left on warranty that isn't. as far as sueing mike's? it is a he said/we said, he did/ we are doing thing. posted in the dealers not to use section. it is an implied limited warranty and does not cover dealer workmanship. if anyone wants a copy of the 3 page letter i mailed to H-D, give me a pm. glad to send it to you. G.

Here in the US neither motorcycle nor automobile manufacturers can limit or mandate the used of certain products. In this case the transmission oil. If a manufacturer does tie their warranty to using onlly their product then they have to give it to you. Ford learned this and set the precedent back when they had cylinder heads that could only use Ford spark plugs or those owned by Ford. If Readline says their gear oil will meet manufacturer's specifications then it is good. I would sue.

My 09 RG takes 32 oz in the transmission. The first time I used Redline heavy I was surprised at the thickness. I let the jug sit in a funnel overnight in order for all of it to drain out. Maybe the tech at Mikes just turned the jug up for a short time, poured some in, thought the qt was empty and closed it up. Could have missed about 1/3 qt doing it that way. Does anyone know how low the transmission could go before problems may develop? I seem to remember reading something that someone forgot to put in fluid and ran for some time with no problem and they had been using Redline.

the whole nut centers around the trans not being filled by MIKE'S FAMOUS at the 1k service. it went south after they accused me of lying and causing trouble. when i said "litigation" to customer service in milwaukee last april it was whoa boy circle the wagons and we gotta do something. Hannum's was originally going to put in a new box just to gig mike's but the service manager got canned before we could make this happen. have been thru 2 s/m at hannum's since. like a gov. conspiracy, all the parties w/ the truth just disappear. i'm surely in the twilight zone and the fluid fairy has found my bike.
only 4 months left on warranty that isn't. as far as sueing mike's? it is a he said/we said, he did/ we are doing thing. posted in the dealers not to use section. it is an implied limited warranty and does not cover dealer workmanship. if anyone wants a copy of the 3 page letter i mailed to H-D, give me a pm. glad to send it to you. G.

Sorry to hear of all your problems, G. You've really been messed over by a very poor dealer with no concept of customer service or scruples. Sounds like they'd steal from their own grandmother just to cover their backsides.

It really takes away from the enjoyment you should have experienced owning your Ultra. Now it's like a never ending nightmare.

Back