free website stats program UGLY!!! Caution this may disgust Street Bob owners!!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

UGLY!!! Caution this may disgust Street Bob owners!!!

they put the vent holes in the front so you so you won't get staining on the tank from the condensation and moisture build up which is fine.But you are getting rust because they cheaped out on the zinc.coating.Clean it.Tremclad it,put it back together and forget about it.

I agree.
The vent holes need to remain at the front and rear of the tank dash panel. Otherwise any moisture that gets in through the gauges (and it will) has no way to dry up. I'm going to clean it up with a Dremmel, acid bath and then powdercoat it.

Pulled my dash off at the weekend to check as it had been off when the tank was painted. No problem at all. Nice and clean. I put some polish on the surface just in case water does get in there.

After you get it cleaned up, post a picture for a before/after parting shot.:D

I removed my tank dash to add a Softail style ignition switch today.

Until I saw this!

corrosion.jpg

I don't know if water routinely gets in there, but it doesn't seem to get out as easily. I will replace mine ASAP.

I removed my tank dash to add a Softail style ignition switch today.

Until I saw this!

corrosion.jpg

I don't know if water routinely gets in there, but it doesn't seem to get out as easily. I will replace mine ASAP.

I cleaned off the rust with a rust killer gel. Then I scrubbed it clean with a wire brush on the Dremmel. Painted it with Rust Paint in flat black. My new ignition switch should be arriving any day. Then I re-assemble.

fixed_plate.jpg

If you're not making it better than new.... you're not trying!

Cdn-Bigfoot, looking good in there now. You might do what Smitty said and also OVEN BAKE IT to make sure the paint is dry and cured fully...just don't get yourself in trouble with the miss'us if you do a total Smitty burn-in "in the hood.":D

Cdn-Bigfoot, looking good in there now. You might do what Smitty said and also OVEN BAKE IT to make sure the paint is dry and cured fully...just don't get yourself in trouble with the miss'us if you do a total Smitty burn-in "in the hood.":D

It was an aerosol can spray job.
Bake it?
Seriously?
You can be the first to taste the pizza that comes out of that oven next.:newsmile070:

Finished the mods.
I ended up replacing the old plate with a new one from HD. Also replaced the gasket and bolts.
I chromed my dash and added the WG switch.
A lot of work. But, worth it.

New_WG_switch.jpg

Chromed_dash.jpg

Back