free website stats program UGLY!!! Caution this may disgust Street Bob owners!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

UGLY!!! Caution this may disgust Street Bob owners!!!

I will be packing foam in the front opening of my FXDC there is a large opening in front were water will get in. Hate to say, but you would never see such a poor design on a Honda.

Hobbit,

I have never owned a bike much more than 5 years except my 1982 Suzuki GS1100E which I purchased new. It just baffles me why they would leave a huge opening in an area that faces the front of the bike so the elements can get in. No matter how you care for your bike this area will always be a problem. They could have routed the cables differently.
Good Luck on cleaning it up and thanks for the insight.

Steve

Puts new meaning to Glider's recommendation that you use no hose with running water above the side covers. Water resistant is NOT water proof...

Tell this to the rain I rode in today! At least my girl doesn't have to sit in the rain all day now. The shop across the road offered their lean to beside their building for me to park the bike on wet days. Decent of them!

Last edited:
Why not ask Harley to replace it.I know in the automotive field a car with a 3 year 36000 mile warrenty carries on average a 5 year warrenty against rust.Most people are ignorant to this but the fact is most vehicle manufacturers offer completely different warrenties when dealing with rust.At least ask.

Took the dash off to install the tach-speedo combo and found the factory rubber gasket did not seal the front as it mounts to the tank =----planning a water resistant foam back up

Took the dash off to install the tach-speedo combo and found the factory rubber gasket did not seal the front as it mounts to the tank =----planning a water resistant foam back up

Not sure Id be using foam there.Foam while maybe water resistant might not be gasoline resistant.You might be inadvertantly creating a serious fire hazard.We all spill a little gas from time to time,Im just thinking foam may retain that gas and act as a Zippo.

My new ignition switch should be here early next week. In the meantime I will clean up the rust with some rust killing cleaner and my dremmel tool. I'm looking into powder coating the plate to help reduce this in the future. No more power washers for me. I'll be careful washing not to pour water all over the dash. I might even look into getting one of those motorcycle power dryers. I think sealing up the ventilation holes in the front would only exacerbate the moisture problems.

One would have thought the vent hole would be a drain at the lowest part back towards the seat area. I would seal it with oil resistant neoprene or cork. You could prep the whole inside and use thin film of motoroil, just like marine diesel engines of old to keep off the rust and moisture from the sea air from attacking metal parts. Did it all the time on my cars that had painted engine, oil pan and rocker cover tins...never had a problem with rust and kept the stock paint looking good. Since the fuel tank is vented already, and guages usually are not fully sealed to prevent fogging these days why not... JMO

they put the vent holes in the front so you so you won't get staining on the tank from the condensation and moisture build up which is fine.But you are getting rust because they cheaped out on the zinc.coating.Clean it.Tremclad it,put it back together and forget about it.

Back