free website stats program UGLY!!! Caution this may disgust Street Bob owners!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

UGLY!!! Caution this may disgust Street Bob owners!!!

cdn-bigfoot

I removed my tank dash to add a Softail style ignition switch today.

Until I saw this!

corrosion.jpg

I don't know if water routinely gets in there, but it doesn't seem to get out as easily. I will replace mine ASAP.

Why replace it? clean it off and brush paint a good rust inhibiting paint on in and re-install rhe dash

Puts new meaning to Glider's recommendation that you use no hose with running water above the side covers. Water resistant is NOT water proof...

Puts new meaning to Glider's recommendation that you use no hose with running water above the side covers. Water resistant is NOT water proof...

I hear what you're saying. But I won't park the bike, or search for shelter every time it rains either. I'm a little surprised this happened. I take very good care of my bike. I'm not sure why or how this happened.

POR-15 I think the name is right. Is a good product to get rid of rust. It is a brush on application.

The HD dealer wanted $230 for this plate and a bunch of other junk it comes with that I don't need.
So, I'll be cleaning it up myself. Dremel to remove rust. An acid based rust killer for in the pores of the metal. Then likely Tremclad rust inhibit paint. I'll post pics.

Cdn-Bigfoot - suggest making a nice thin oil resistant soft gasket material that fits between plate and console...old idea with a new twist. One would have thought there was a foam or rubber gasket which would have prevented water egress. Did you check your service manual to see if something was missing?

Cdn-Bigfoot - suggest making a nice thin oil resistant soft gasket material that fits between plate and console...old idea with a new twist. One would have thought there was a foam or rubber gasket which would have prevented water egress. Did you check your service manual to see if something was missing?

If I may add one thing here ,if you choose to make a foam gasket make sure it is a closed cell material,the open cell foam will wick the water in.I would stick with cork or rubber.

Back