free website stats program Transmission Dipstick! | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Dipstick!

I just check my 08 electra glide classic. not a sign of wear. Looking in through the opening, I didn't even see a clutch cable. On my 96CI, the clutch cable runs into a smaller housing in front of the casing. Probably a good 8 inches from the dip stick..I don't getit. Inside the opening, I saw a couple of gears and what looked like a small shelf (possibly from casting) that would be immediately to the rear of the dipstick. There appeared to be plenty of room in there. I guess if I cross threaded the dipstick really bad, it might hit one of the gears but it would have to be bad. Am I missing something here??

I just check my 08 electra glide classic. not a sign of wear. Looking in through the opening, I didn't even see a clutch cable.

Am I missing something here??

As said back a ways, Harmonics, Vibration? may cause the Occasional problem.

signed....BUBBIE

I just check my 08 electra glide classic. not a sign of wear. Looking in through the opening, I didn't even see a clutch cable. On my 96CI, the clutch cable runs into a smaller housing in front of the casing. Probably a good 8 inches from the dip stick..I don't getit. Inside the opening, I saw a couple of gears and what looked like a small shelf (possibly from casting) that would be immediately to the rear of the dipstick. There appeared to be plenty of room in there. I guess if I cross threaded the dipstick really bad, it might hit one of the gears but it would have to be bad. Am I missing something here??

You are not missing any thing, the newer 6 speed cases are not the same as the 5 speeds, tho we seem to think it is a vibration slash maybe inferior design in the stick to be the problem here. the 5 speeds the clutch cable routing was right where the stick enters the tranny, the 6 speed case is different in that the cable enters away from the stick, hope this helps in your understanding.:)

Bubbie/Jack,
Admittedly, I did not read the entire thread as it seemed to jump between 5 speed, 6 speed/ 88/96, etc, so I appreciate you guys filling me in. I'll just keep an eye on thedip stick.

Bubbie/Jack,
Admittedly, I did not read the entire thread as it seemed to jump between 5 speed, 6 speed/ 88/96, etc, so I appreciate you guys filling me in. I'll just keep an eye on thedip stick.

This is a tough one , some have had this problem while others have not. I have never had this problem rear its ugly head and I have been thru 3-5 speed Evos and now 2 twin cams and have yet to see this problem, I am not trying to minimize it it does exist and needs attention,:D error on the safe side and Happy Riding to all

Hi All

I posted this problem 3 years ago. FYI guys my 2010 still has the same rub! I have the cut stick installed in my 2010. I would advise everyone to cut their stick and buy a spare to check when needed.

Does the MOCO ever read these posts!???

Back