free website stats program Transmission Dipstick! | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Dipstick!

I would not be too sure of that. This stem does not seem to be made out of pot metal. This dip stick was pounded. The metal is malleable.. Can't see gears turning this into little bits easily.

Hoop, most of the problems were with the 5 speeds because of where the stick went in to the tranny close to the clutch cable, however there seems to be an on going problem with the newer bikes also, maybe cheaply built sticks I dont know the answer here, I have never had this problem with 5 or 6 speeds and dont want to while others are showing wear marks on new bikes I think The MOCO needs to look in to this

Jack, I really can't see cable sawing being an issue on the '09's (or at least my '09 setup) but if the stem snapped just from vibration, then any year is at risk. I won't take the chance. Warranty or Not,,I sure would not want that piece of stem loose in my tranny.

Jack, I really can't see cable sawing being an issue on the '09's but if the stem snapped just from vibration, then any year is at risk. I won't take the chance. Warranty or Not,,I sure would not want that piece of stem loose in my tranny.

Yep, thats why i am going to keep my old stick for checking and cap it off with a chrome cap peace of mind:D

Well the way I look at it, it will take me about 2 minutes to cut it off and use something else to check the level with, vibration, no vibration, rubbing, to tight, what ever its gone,, the guys here have been priceless with sharing their knowledge, and giving heads up on situations like this,, I cant thank them enough...Tim

You know. This is the first time I have heard of this dip stick problem. Is this a problem also with the older Twin Cam 88? I have a 05 TC 88. Seems to be just the newer TC 96.

Yep, thats why i am going to keep my old stick for checking and cap it off with a chrome cap peace of mind:D
Hey Jack, as I stated in another post today - my '01 Heritage trans dipstick also has wear mark on it from the cable. Mine has all the chrome ground off for about 1/4 inch or so - therefore, I believe I should go ahead and cut it off also before it cuts itself off inside the transmission. So the concern exists even with older TC88 motors too.

Bill

You know. This is the first time I have heard of this dip stick problem. Is this a problem also with the older Twin Cam 88? I have a 05 TC 88. Seems to be just the newer TC 96.

I remember hearing Warnings out on the early TC's way back on my 2000. I never had a problem but some did.
Go figure on that one. The problem I thought, was mainly on the models with the "clutch cables" out board the tranny side case...

I do attribute the Harmonics being Part of the problem in a few cases where NO wear is shown to be the first symptom, then "Snap"... it Seems not Wide Spread on the 96" bikes. But I'm doing the cut and new one just to feel safe.

signed....BUBBIE

This weekend I looked at my wife's 2002 Dyna dipstick for the transmision. It clearly has a rub mark on it from the clutch cable. As this was a used bike with low miles, it is interesting to see this issue just beginning. I am going to get a new dipstick this week and make the old one into a "cap". What a design flaw. I am glad I caught this early....

Kudos to this site and the members!:worthy

What do you folks think of this: BAKER Drivetrain | Premium Drivetrain Upgrades | Pieces Parts

I stumbled on it, while researching my upcoming primary seal replacement job. they have a high torque mainshaft bearing for the primary that does not require pressing an inner bearing race on the mainshaft. They also have this beefed up tranny dipstick.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thanks Rich.

That looks to be a good upgrade and I might just do that .

signed....BUBBIE

Back