free website stats program Transmission Dipstick! | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Dipstick!

My dipstick did not rub through nor was it behind any clutch cable. It just fell apart, NO JOKE! The cast must have had a weak spot that just vibrated itself apart.

I think the only way Ours would break-off in our newer bikes is IF you tighten down past( way too tight) the snug that is needed on the "0" ring on dip stick.. Then the vibration might snap at the stick part..
You know what i mean,The "0" keeps the long stick from going into harmonics that breaks it off. ,,,(my thinking only)

signed....BUBBIE This was my answer to that problem TOO TIGHT on plug

A person from another site who works on HD bikes for a living said,

"What really happens is it breaks off from vibration. It gets chewed up by the gears and youd never know it happened, wont hear it wont see it if you pulled the tranny apart. Its a cheap casting that disentigrates pretty quick."

So w/that in mind, even on my 09 of which I saw a wear mark I will be on the safe side and buy a new one for checking it, 32 Oz in and 32 oz out, and cut the old one off and use it for a plug.

A person from another site who works on HD bikes for a living said,

"What really happens is it breaks off from vibration. It gets chewed up by the gears and youd never know it happened, wont hear it wont see it if you pulled the tranny apart. Its a cheap casting that disentigrates pretty quick."

So w/that in mind, even on my 09 of which I saw a wear mark I will be on the safe side and buy a new one for checking it, 32 Oz in and 32 oz out, and cut the old one off and use it for a plug.

That may be, I rode a 92 FLHS, and a 97 FLHT for 50k plus miles both 5 speeds and never had any problems and I had the sticks out alot

Isn't there a saying to Cover This? OH Ya, I remember

"A jack in the Box is worth Two in the Bush" .. or something like that..

signed....BUBBIE:D

Dont encourage him he will never stop LOL take care my friend:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy does it there Bubster, you wouldn't want to see one of these now.....:D

Poofclean-1.jpg

That may be, I rode a 92 FLHS, and a 97 FLHT for 50k plus miles both 5 speeds and never had any problems and I had the sticks out alot

Jack; I fail to see the correlation that you were making between what I had said originally and your post. Please clarify...or explain so I will understand as to me it does not make any sense.

I think over the years H D has got cheap and had a hit and miss problem with these sticks, i never had this problem thank God and I wish The MOCO would do some thing here to fix this, you are right I would rather be safe than sorry here, I am thinking of keeping my original stick for checking only and capping off the hole with a fancy chrome plug:D

I would not be too sure of that. This stem does not seem to be made out of pot metal. This dip stick was pounded. The metal is malleable.. Can't see gears turning this into little bits easily.

Attachments

• Stem#1.jpg
    Stem#1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Stem#2.jpg
    Stem#2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 54
Back