free website stats program Trans oil question... Syn 3? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans oil question... Syn 3?

I donno, just because the plug comes out clean doesn't necessarily mean that there is unnecessary wear that will show up just after your warranty expires. I guess i might be overly cautious and want the best for my ride. I want to see how many miles i can get... I'm in it for the long haul. To be honest i can't see why the Harley Davidson dealers would know more about oil than the people who produce oil and/or study what exactly the oil is doing.

They don't! They simply want you to buy what they sell and have the money go into their pockets instead of Mobil or Spectro.

you can cotact Spectro directly and they will put you in touch with someone who carries. Response was pretty quick - 2-3 days. Also you can order direct from them. Good hunting.

Just pickup a new 09 Ultra Classic, i ran Sny3 in my 03 and the plug aways came out clean... i have been on other forum and they speck highly of the Sny 3... I just change the oil inthe engine and tranny on the 09 I had some Sny3 left over. the tranny smoothed out, and going into 5th and 6th it almost fell in.

Just proves the old addage that if you look hard enough and long enough, you can find the answer you want. Most of us here suggest that different applications require different lubricants that are fit-for-purpose for the application. Engine oils in engines, gear lube in with the gears of the transmission, and a wet clutch appropriate fluid in the primary. In addition, many of us suggest that a FULL synthetic product be used in the engine and transmission. Full synthetic as in a Group IV product, not a Group III. Here is some discussion from the ford-trucks.com forum:

Group II - Modern Conventional Base Oils

Base oils made by hydrocracking and isomerization technologies had such a signifigant increase in desirable performance over solvent refining technology that in 1993 the API categorized base oils by composition. Solvent refined oils are now referred to as group I base oils. Group II base oils are a vast improvement over group I because they contain lower levels of impurities. Because they are so pure, they have almost no color at all. Improved purity means the base oil and additives can last longer under use. The oil is more inert and forms less oxidation byproducts that can increase viscosity and react with additives.

Group III - Unconventional Base Oils

The API defines the difference between Group II and III base oils only in terms of V.I., viscosity index. Base oils with conventional V.I. (80-119) are Group II and base oils with an "unconventional" V.I. (120+) are Group III. Group III base oils are also called unconventional base oils (UCBO's) or very high V.I. (VHVI) base oils. Group II+ base oils have the same maximum V.I. as Group II (80-119), but have a higher minimum V.I. (110-119).

From a process standpoint, Group III oils are made by the same process as Group II oils, but the V.I. is increased by increasing the temperature of the hydrocracker. The product V.I. can also be increased by increasing the V.I. of the feedstock. Which is done by selecting the appropriate crude.

Group IV - Traditional "Synthetic" Base Oils (PAO)

"The word "synthetic" in the lube industry hase traditionaly been synonymous with PAO, poly-alfa-olefins, which are made from small molocules. The first commercial process for making PAO was pioneered by Gulf Oil in 1951. In the 1960's, Mobil patented an improved process. In the 1970's, Mobil began to market their product as 'Mobil 1'.

Since then, the demand for PAO has grown and some base oil manufactures began using higher V.I. feedstocks to make mineral oils with V.I.'s that matched the PAO's. These new Group III oils were not manufactured from small molecules like traditional synthetics but they bridged the performance gap at a lower cost. Some lubricant manufactures began replacing PAO's with Group III base oils in their "synthetic" engine oils. This created a controversy in the lubricants industry because some believed that PAO's were the only true synthetics.

Some more info from the Self-help pages:

Synthetic Oils - Harley Davidson Community

But the whole issue comes down to this: each member has a bike or more that they are worried about. Each of us has to make our own choices about what to do with respect to fluids. The recommendations here and on other forums are a mixture of factual information and pure fiction. Pick what you want, and what make sense to you. Best of luck with your choices.

TQ

After doing a lot of reading and studying about what I THINK is the best for my bike. I find it hard to believe that one lubricant (syn 3) is going to be whats best for my bike in all three areas. The idea of the simplicity is kinda neat. Pouring the same thing in all three holes. But honestly, i don't believe thats going to be whats BEST. I'm not saying i absolutely know whats best. I just fail to believe that one lubricant is going to be whats best for three totally different applications.

TQ - good information in your post...and yes most modern refined oils have some percentage of synthetic oils to achieve the wide range viscosity index levels when you read the labels on your oil. Look at Mobil 1 product offering 0W-50 wt is now possible with Group IV, and in this free country - choice is a freedom that can be very confusing, but strictly up to the riders' selection and where he puts his money...fact or fiction driven.

Last edited:
You can run the overly expensive anti-American Venezuelan Syn3 20W-50 in the tranny if you'd like. I did for 11,000 miles (along with engine & primary)without a problem until I found out it was a CITGO product with the money going into Hugo Chavez's pocket, our friend from down south.

I switched to Mobile1 75W-90 Synthetic Gear oil and have been satisfied. Yes, it does go into gear a little easier than the Syn3 blended product and have noticed smoother shifting. Honestly I believe you'll be safe and happy with what ever product you choose. Good luck on your choice. A lot of good ones to choose from.

I switched to Mobile1 75W-90 Synthetic Gear oil and have been satisfied. Yes, it does go into gear a little easier than the Syn3 blended product and have noticed smoother shifting.

I was using Lucas 75w-140 synthetic before I switched to Spectro platinum.The Lucas was much better then the syn3, but the Spectro is smoother and quieter then both

After careful consideration I think i will go with the Spectro... As soon as i can find someone who carries it. I'll be in the city next week, Gonna try to pick up a quart or two then. Might stock up... Seems its pretty rare in these parts. I can deal with rolling the bike a little to find neutral until then.

I believe you'll be happy and satisfied SpringerSteve98 using Spectro Oil Products. I seriously considered them since the H-D DVD "Fix My Hog" Touring Series endorsed Spectro Products. I'd never heard of their product before seeing the DVD, and to find out the local Honda Dealer was the only gig in my area to carry them according to the Spectro website.

After careful consideration I think i will go with the Spectro... As soon as i can find someone who carries it. I'll be in the city next week, Gonna try to pick up a quart or two then. Might stock up... Seems its pretty rare in these parts. I can deal with rolling the bike a little to find neutral until then.

I use Spectro products in my tranny and primary (the appropriate product in each!!) and am very happy with that. You might choose another manufacturer for the engine that is easier to find as long as it is a FULL synthetic (Group IV) oil. I am going with M1 VTwin 20W50 after a brief experiment back to Amsoil.

TQ

Back