free website stats program trailer hitch | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

trailer hitch

I know you did not ask for opinions here but I would be remiss if I did not at least try to get you to reconsider your decission to pull a trailer with your motorcycle. Given the rather unforgiving laws of physics, it just does not bode well for a long and healthy life. I don't want to see anybody get hurt. The difference between a catastrophe and an accident is that one is likely avoidable with a little thought beforehand. I know, you can find Harleys and Goldwings all over the highway, pulling trailors. That does not change the fact that it is dangerous behavior. I don't know of any bike manufacturer that makes a trailer hitch either. Wish I could be more supportive on this one, but I feel you would be an accident looking for a place to happen. Life is short enough without looking for trouble. Appologies for being a wet blanket.

You sound like you've never towed a trailer. You claim towing to be dangerous behavior and yet, with a little research for statistics ... Well I can't find any statistical accident information on motorcycles pulling trailers ... So I think your claim is unfounded out side the fact that riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous behavior. So no bike manufacturer makes a hitch ... There are a lot of after market things that they don't make for their bikes. That don't mean the stuff is detrimental to the motorcycles. I believe most who pull a trailer are very aware of what they are doing and take appropriate precautions. Like leaving greater distance when following. Traveling a little slower. Also from behind, most cagers give the trailer notice because they're visible from a distance. I pull and live in my camper traveling the open road 4 to 5 months a year and have never had a problem. Like most, when I pull, I use a little common sense. I speak from having over 30,000 miles of trailer pulling experience and enjoyment.

Ermm nor me I love my trailer specially for camping :)

WAP.gif

Hmm what did I say...FourDogs & Glider...

Trailers & Hitches - yes they have a lot of pluses, but just as many minuses...I like them but it is not for everyone, and on a bike you have to have commitment to attempt it as weight distribution and proportions of towing vehicle to towed vehicle is much closer. :newsmile057:

That said as long as you are careful and willing to test the integration fully over a long period of time before taking you and your partner for very long distant rides, go for it. There are however not too many repairs you can do if you experience a breakdown, and when fully ladened, there is the handling and security issues. Being a grandpa I would rather not learn new tricks right now, especially on a Sportster "dirt/road bike"...JMHO. :newsmile071:

Saw a guy pulling a full size hard top camper trailer in Florida last year with a Goldwing. I thought that he must be crazy. I hoped that he had good brakes on that camper cause if he ever had to panic stop that trailer would be climbing his back and pushing that bike. Just not enough rubber on a motorcycle to be doing that.
kemo

Saw a guy pulling a full size hard top camper trailer in Florida last year with a Goldwing. I thought that he must be crazy. I hoped that he had good brakes on that camper cause if he ever had to panic stop that trailer would be climbing his back and pushing that bike. Just not enough rubber on a motorcycle to be doing that.
kemo

Yeah..Those darn Goldwing guys are crazy!...Kidding!!!!!:newsmile071:

I have had hitches on 2 Goldwings without problems. Please learn how to pull a trailer with a car/truck before trying on a bike.

It all boils down to doing what you feel comfortable with. I put a few thousand miles a year on my bagger pulling a trailer in all kinds of weather and road conditions. I can't imagine going on a trip without the trailer. Pulling a properly loaded trailer is much safer than overloading the packs.

I designed and built my own hitch because I did not like the prices of all the aftermarket hitches (A.K.A. cheap EDITED) or most of the designs that I saw. Just remember that if you pull a trailer........adapt your riding style accordingly. Give yourself some extra road space (outs), and never ever forget that the trailer is behind you. It's not hard to forget that something is chasing you down the road if you have a well built trailer because they travel very well.

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Attachments

• IMAGE_00252.jpg
    IMAGE_00252.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
Gold wing, phsst I have pulled my cycle mate trailer loaded with my wife and my things, as well as the people we rode with who just didnt have enough room for all their things, many many times I was the lead bike, I set the pace, and mostly 65-75 anywhere. Dont tell me about not enough power ect. My stock 88 cube Heritage always had plenty left even to pass people. Now that I have an 07 EG I've been asked, "with the tour pack now you shouldnt need your trailer" Bull, I wouldnt be without my trailer on long hauls, just respect that you have something back there, slow down a little sooner and you will have no problems, just my 2 cents worth.

It all boils down to doing what you feel comfortable with. I put a few thousand miles a year on my bagger pulling a trailer in all kinds of weather and road conditions. I can't imagine going on a trip without the trailer. Pulling a properly loaded trailer is much safer than overloading the packs.

I designed and built my own hitch because I did not like the prices of all the aftermarket hitches (A.K.A. cheap EDITED) or most of the designs that I saw. Just remember that if you pull a trailer........adapt your riding style accordingly. Give yourself some extra road space (outs), and never ever forget that the trailer is behind you. It's not hard to forget that something is chasing you down the road if you have a well built trailer because they travel very well.

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

That's a nice looking setup. Bike and trailer.:s

Back