free website stats program trailer hitch | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

trailer hitch

Thousands of bikers pull trailers with their bikes, some will never have a problem, and biking is as much about freedom & life style as it is riding. Harley will sell you a t-shirt for your dog or a ball point pen but will not sell you a trailer hitch for your bike, there's a reason and we all know what it is. Living in Alaska for 20 years I have seen some really bad accidents caused by pulling trailers with bikes, a couple years ago had a bike & camp trailer towed into my dealership or should I say what was left of them, the trailer opened up while the traveler was passing a semi on the interstate, the driver & his wife were air lifted to Reno and lived, seen the gentleman about 6-7 months later and he wanted to make a deal on his trailer, smart. A friend wanted me to install a hitch on his bike and I sent him to the local aftermarket shop, I never turn away work but was glad I did, he lost it in a curve coming back from Sturgis, the weight of the trailer just wiped the bike out from under him, going too fast into a curve. I would feel like I put him in the hospital if I had of installed it for him, he was a seasoned rider too. I'm just posting this for the nubie's so maybe they can make a educated decision on towing a trailer with their bike. Not trying to say don't do it, just be aware that bikes are not made for towing tralers.

Well might as well throw in my two cents. I put a hidden trailer hitch on my Roadking which is awesome cause you can remove the hitch quickly and other then a band of chrome along bottom of fender you don't know it's there. I bought an all aluminum (other then frame of course) trailer with swivel hitch that tows great. I had it out in heavy rain (not by choice I will add) and it towed awesome. I agree you have to treat it with respect. It also allows us to take a cooler with cold drinks /or food along. I was wondering if any of you have tried the rivco carrier that sits on your trailer hitch? It is basically a platform that sits off hitch at back ? You can carry a cooler? or a second Tbag? or whatever you want? I bought mine in Sturgis last year and then ran to Walmart and bought a cheap gym bag. Carried all the stuff the wife purchased down on that carrier. Worked great. Takes 10 seconds to pull pins and carry right into room with you? Just another idea. Some people carry golf clubs on them? Of course its that or the trailer? Not both. Sure is convenient though. :bigsmiley11:

I have not pulled a trailer with my ultra yet (just bought) but I pulled a trailer from Saskatchewan Canada to Mexico on my Goldwing, Didn't even notice it,I am sure it will be no Different on your Harley.

have to agree with richards on this been there done that with a softail snd my ultra take the fun out of it and don't want to get caught in a rain storm:34:

Back