free website stats program Tire Brands | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Brands

I was reading about the Mitsotoma tires, the guy said that they look the same as a 402, same tread pattern and the rubber compounds feel the same. In other words they sound like a copy. No whitewalls available and no milage report.
Ken

I got 14,350 miles on my OEM Dunlop rear tire before I had to change it. I've got 16,000 miles on my front with lots of life left in it.

I was reading about the Mitsotoma tires, the guy said that they look the same as a 402, same tread pattern and the rubber compounds feel the same. In other words they sound like a copy. No whitewalls available and no milage report.
Ken

I think I read that same report, guy was a salesman. When he stated they were the same as the Dunlop, my Chinese made "copy" detector went off. Also saw several ads on them as well, that indicated over-stock sales and such...

So when a guy asks about a tire or a tire company said:
-----------------
Good points. But there are still three basic categories of tires; performance, mileage or all purpose. High mileage tires are not going to act like a soft performance tire in the twisties and a performance tire will soon be scrubbed bald after miles on the super slab. All purpose tires do no one thing really well but can get you by in most situations.

Your riding style should still be at the forefront when selecting what you mount. Decide what's important to you and your pocketbook.

As Beauregards Ultra pointed out, driving style determines wear. To show this, I parked Betty next to Spinner showing the 'chicken marks' of both tires--tires which are identical OEM replacement tires.

The bike on the left is Black Betty, primarily a long distance hauler. Notice the two-inch wear mark down the center of the tire. Clearly this marks long hours on the slab.

To the right is Spinner, a little Sportster 48. While that tire is new and I also ride her on the highways, she gets into the twisties as her recent scrub marks show.

There is no doubt in my mind that while the tires are identical, their overall wear patterns and life expectancy will be vastly different.

001-117-1-1.jpg

Hello everyone. I have a 97 fLHTCI and am in need of new tires, frt and rear. I have always used OEM dunlops, but have never been happy with the mileage. Can anyone tell me anything about Mitsotoma tires or reccomend a better alternative than the Dunlops. Thanks in advance:cheers

I have just put Avon Venoms on my Roadking, finally the bike holds the corner, grip more important that mileage.

cheers

Sock(The Cat)

As a wise man says during his commercials, "There's alot riding on them tires", and when you only have two of them it means even more. Why go with anything different from what has been proven to give you reliability and performance. Just my 2 cents. I have ran Dunlops and Metzler ME880. Limited because I like to run with the wide whitewalls on the roadking classic. I have always bought from Motorcyle Superstore, great prices and fast delivery.

Thanks for all your input, I am going to stay with dunlops and try to ride a little more conservatively.:D

Thanks for all your input, I am going to stay with dunlops and try to ride a little more conservatively.:D

Remember rear tire wear is directly related to the usage of right wrist. It can be even more drastic if performance mods including exhaust, stage 1 air cleaner, cams etc. has been done to bike. :newsmile058:

Back