free website stats program Tire Brands | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Brands

OTRA

Hello everyone. I have a 97 fLHTCI and am in need of new tires, frt and rear. I have always used OEM dunlops, but have never been happy with the mileage. Can anyone tell me anything about Mitsotoma tires or reccomend a better alternative than the Dunlops. Thanks in advance:cheers

What mileage are you getting out of the Dunlops and what mileage are you looking for???

Hello everyone. I have a 97 fLHTCI and am in need of new tires, frt and rear. I have always used OEM dunlops, but have never been happy with the mileage. Can anyone tell me anything about Mitsotoma tires or reccomend a better alternative than the Dunlops. Thanks in advance:cheers

What kind of mileage were you getting with the Dunlops?

I average 8,500 rear and received 19,500 miles on front.
Unable to find Manufacture website about tires just dealers that sell them. I would be careful........

I have never heard of the brand you mentioned. Dunlops are a good tire and some of our members get excellent milage. I personally run Avon Venon X and get 9000 to 11000 miles on the rear and a little more on the front, although I change both tires when the rear needs changing.

There's more to tires than wear mileage. I think the Dunlops provide above average performance and should last in the 9k to 10k mile. To me that's a workable combination.
Your driving style is probably the biggest variable in tire mileage, especially when dealing with performance tires. Your mileage may not be all that bad.

Your driving style is probably the biggest variable in tire mileage.

I also run Dunlops, and I just changed out a rear tire on my 48 at 10K. I considered that I got good performance and reasonable life. The problem here was 'style.' Let me explain.

When I first bought the bike, it was new and needed a break-in period. I *assumed* it would be a short hauler. As such I did slower speeds on back roads, and as I broke in the engine I scrubbed my 'chicken marks.' As I got to know the bike, I rode it more on highways.

In the last few thousand miles, over 2/3s of the distance was on the slab puttin' for fun. I wore a 2-inch section down the middle of the tire.

I scrubbed in the new tire, but returned to my highway schedule. In other words, two identical tires but two separate demands. I think most people evolve in their styles over time.

So when a guy asks about a tire or a tire company, I'm not always sure that he can accurately foresee how his riding will be in the future. Had you asked me as a new 48 owner, I would have surmised I needed a short-haul, sticky, apex grabbing, saloon hopping tread. In reality, I made a mini-touring bike out of her.

The moral of the story? Find a tire with numerous features to ensure the most options. As you get to know a bike, your desires might change.

Back