free website stats program Tipping over at slow/stop | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tipping over at slow/stop

I respectfully disagree with the other posters on the brake issue. Learn to use your front brake, don't quit using it, even if only at the end of your stop. With some practice you will learn how to use your front brake. Use your front brake for every stop every time. Don't start your turn from a dead stop with your front tire turned. Go straight for a small distance then start your turn. It takes forward motion to counter your lean. Without forward motion a lean is simply a fall, unless you put your foot down.

I respectfully disagree with the other posters on the brake issue. Learn to use your front brake, don't quit using it, even if only at the end of your stop. With some practice you will learn how to use your front brake. Use your front brake for every stop every time. Don't start your turn from a dead stop with your front tire turned. Go straight for a small distance then start your turn. It takes forward motion to counter your lean. Without forward motion a lean is simply a fall, unless you put your foot down.

i use the front brake too with every stop and quite firmly, the trick may be too let up on it just as you stop. i've never had any problem. when turning let your lean help dictate the timing of the turn more than turning the handlebars. mostly don't stop in the middle of a turn if you can help it. if your front brakes are pulling the handlebars to the right you'd better get them checked.

High siding is easily done if you have the front wheel turned and grab too much front brake...practice squeezing the lever like you would a half a lemon. Since the front brake is 70% of your braking power, you HAVE to learn to use it properly. If your brake controls are properly setup like a sportbike...the lever is more that 3/8 inch from contacting the bar and with a firm two finger squeeze should squeal that front brake just short of locking up. The other thing is to use the rear brake to help "level" the chassis and minimize front end dive.

The key is to practice in a wide open well paved lot...that way you practice straight line braking...to a point where you can howl both and skid the rear with full front braking (squeeze, do not grab). Then practice deacelerating in a curve...use full but steady braking...and practice both left and right hand braking in a curve...think gently and note how the rear feels. You will feel the front fork compress, but should not bottom out...else you "pogo" it and that will ALSO make you skid and lose front tire traction.

The point is to work steady and get a feel for when tire traction just starts getting loose. Also a good time to practice low speed figure 8 in both left and right turns "lock to lock". Remember to do this practice only for about an hour, no use pushing, or trying to learn it all at once (being tired makes you more prone to tip overs also). If the lot is big enough, you can also practice "PUSH RIGHT GO RIGHT" countersteering to get a feel for practicing higher speed turns, keeping your eyes forward around a the turn...way up the road...you will be better before you know it.

This is top notch advice. The additional advice is to never look down. That what will cause you to drop bike while stopping.

Well, you've solved my problem with TWO answers: I was looking down because I was trying to keep the bike from falling over, and I was grabbing hard on the front brake. So far I haven't dropped it, but it's come close. Thanks for the pointers!

Thanks guys! I will follow the advice and maybe the two finger will lesson the pull. I use the front to stop and such but when going to make a turn like turning into a gas station sharp will stay with the back brake or when coming to a finale stop. Looking down might be something to look into also. Someone else also told me coming from a sabre to a ultra that The fronts stop faster then previous and I might be doing the same pressure and I need to use the two fingers. the two times i went over was with wheel turned right at a real slow speed and I think I was on the front brake and rear and I pushed to hard on front. So know I have some real good advice and will do some of those tricks. Thanks Again

Pyro.... PLEASE, don't even think of feeling like an idiot! You are making use of a forum comprised of 'yet unmet' friends, as was the intent of the founder(s) of the forum. As for what is best of the advice? Whew! Read, think, and try! There is a combination there that will work for you, your bike, and your style. And every one of us here are hoping that you find the one that works best for you and that you can continue to ride safely and confidently!

Enjoy the bike and get to know it, it can and will be another good friend!:D

I always have the bike upright and in a straight line when using brakes i look at any turn or manoeuvre long before i commit to it and adjust speed to suit for final stopping i use the front brake with the wheels in a straight line

Brian

Interestingly, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) and every Experienced Rider Course (ERC) I've ever attended places a great deal of emphasis on using the front brake. Additionally, there is an article on this exact topic in the latest edition of Iron Butt magazine. If you take into consideration the weight shift to the front during braking, you'll realize that the rear brake becomes less effective. Dropping the bike in the situation you describe is completely due to the wheel being turned.

If you look at the extreme example of a sport bike doing a "stoppie", they're using the front brake so hard that the rear lifts off the ground. Yet, they do not drop the bike because the front wheel is kept straight.

While it may be true that using the back brake will prevent this issue, it is a bad habit to get into relying on the back brake. There are certainly times when the back brake is needed, such as slow speed manuevering in combination with using the clutch friction zone.

Given my small number of posts on this forum and that I'm going against the majority of posts, I'm standing by for flames. However, as a side note... I have been riding for over 40 years... well in excess of 1 million road miles... and as part of the Navy's requirement, I participate in an ERC every 2 years. Just saying... not a rookie.

Back