free website stats program Tipping over at slow/stop | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tipping over at slow/stop

Seems to me you did everthing right....
You didn't get hurt, didn't hurt anyone else and look at all the information you get, to learn new techniques!

Every situation is different. Techniques apply most of the time but then there is the one time it may not be the best approach.....just like anything else. Spanning "panic braking" to "planned stops and turns" is a wide skill set.

I support the other posts about practicing and taking course or two. They really helped me.
One point that really stood out for me that I personally never do anymore is the "two finger" braking method. It became a habit and it was easy and comfortable. Using my whole hand I could stop a few feet earlier in a panic stop. Not saying others aren't as good with two fingers. Not saying you can't make it work on a sport bike with 1/2 the weight and bigger brakes than an Ultra. I can't. I learned a lighter touch in the slow speed situations, and still use my whole hand.

Another thing the instructor of the advanced course taught us was that you should learn how to take off with the wheel on the lock (all the way left or all the way right) and HARD. Sometimes you need to get out of there. Only happened once to me, but I saw her coming in my mirror, talking on a cell phone. I still almost lost it on the shoulder, but I am glad I practiced it before.

(There is another post about the "have and have not's" on dropping a bike. Check it out. If you are not in the haves, you will be......):D

Might be a bit off subject, but never, ever use the front brake when there is either sand or gravel or water for that matter present. You will dump it.

I ride all the time in the rain, I use my front brake quite effectively.
Additionally, remember that if you use your rear brake only on gravel, sand, water, etc and it does beging to slide because it has stopped spinning (locked), the general rule is to KEEP IT LOCKED until you come to a stop. Releasing the rear brake (if the rear has gone sideways) will likely cause the tire to "grab" at some point, ususally resulting in a highside crash. If you catch it real early or your wheels are straight you are usually fine.

Also, in a turn with debris (sand, cinders, gravel), remeber that any braking will be using up friction that may be available. If you are caught off guard, there isn't much you can do, but it is possible to ride though with no brake, where hitting the bake will put you down. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I respectfully disagree with the other posters on the brake issue. Learn to use your front brake, don't quit using it, even if only at the end of your stop. With some practice you will learn how to use your front brake. Use your front brake for every stop every time. Don't start your turn from a dead stop with your front tire turned. Go straight for a small distance then start your turn. It takes forward motion to counter your lean. Without forward motion a lean is simply a fall, unless you put your foot down.

I fully agree. Train using both brakes as I stated in my other post. Releasing it only at the very last second, when stopped. Using just the rear brake will develope bad habits when everything hits the fan.

Seems to me you did everthing right....
You didn't get hurt, didn't hurt anyone else and look at all the information you get, to learn new techniques!

Every situation is different. Techniques apply most of the time but then there is the one time it may not be the best approach.....just like anything else. Spanning "panic braking" to "planned stops and turns" is a wide skill set.

I support the other posts about practicing and taking course or two. They really helped me.
One point that really stood out for me that I personally never do anymore is the "two finger" braking method. It became a habit and it was easy and comfortable. Using my whole hand I could stop a few feet earlier in a panic stop. Not saying others aren't as good with two fingers. Not saying you can't make it work on a sport bike with 1/2 the weight and bigger brakes than an Ultra. I can't. I learned a lighter touch in the slow speed situations, and still use my whole hand.

Another thing the instructor of the advanced course taught us was that you should learn how to take off with the wheel on the lock (all the way left or all the way right) and HARD. Sometimes you need to get out of there. Only happened once to me, but I saw her coming in my mirror, talking on a cell phone. I still almost lost it on the shoulder, but I am glad I practiced it before.

(There is another post about the "have and have not's" on dropping a bike. Check it out. If you are not in the haves, you will be......):D
Police motorcycle instructors never teach the use of two finger braking.The student would get marked off for doing so, which could result in a failure to pass that portion of the school. Not passing the braking portion of the school sends the student home. Use the whole hand and like others stated, not a grab, but a squeeze that increases as the bike slows down. Like to hear those rotors howling as the bike slows, but never a lockup. Finger method maybe works on sport bikes, but not effectively on an 800 lb touring bike during an emergency braking drill at 40 mph.

Always practice using both brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
with every new bike I spend some time in an empty parking lot (school lots during the summer usually) to do starts, stops, u turns, slow right hand turn starts and slow left hand turn starts...etc....and some panic stops to get to know the braking and balance of the new bike. This is REALLY helpful rather than learning out in traffic that the new big beast doesnt act like the last bike you had.....plus its kinda fun to scoot around on the lot for an hour or so just being with the bike and not having to worry about traffic.

Here's a scenario to consider. I own a 1990 Tour Glide and was coming to a stop. The heavily traveled intersection was loaded with bumps and depressions from heavy trucks stopping in hot weather,so i naturally thought it would be wise to avoid these with the front tire, problem is that when i stopped to put my right foot down was one of the depressions in the road. When my foot finally touched the ground it was too late, the bike was on the engine guard... Here's another one. Coming to a stop and i always keep my front tire straight. There was a small twig laying to the left. I was almost at a dead stop and put my feet down,only for the front sole of my boot to slide on it like a rolling pin and now i was on the left side of the engine guard. On my bike the fairing is mounted to the frame,thus when i turn the wheel,the fairing is straight. I scan the area with my eyes as i am approaching the stop and usually stop a little short of the intersection as apposed to driving a cage. As mentioned in an earlier post you need momentum to make a turn,and if you do use the front brake, keep that front tire straight!

Back