free website stats program TFI and BIGGER Cams??? | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI and BIGGER Cams???

BUBBIE

A question I always wanted to ask and Many Need to Know......?

Who can report on "larger cams" while using the TFI....
I know that TFI makes the Different unit for MODIFIED engines... Which cams and which fueler in use...

Just wanted to Hear both Pros n Cons....
This will help in making a decision on Which TFI or Unit to use for the More Fuel Needed when using other than Stock Cams..

Thanks for Short but Detailed Replies...:newsmile105:

signed....BUBBIE

I put Se 255 Cams in with the TFI and tried to tune it as they say after a email back and forth With Chris who said i should be able to use the TFI i have for a stock 08 and gave me as much help as he could but i could never get it tuned right ..

If i got it to where it wouldnt load up at idle then it had no power and would buck till i got it pretty wound up .. set the green as said in instructions and this is what it did.. richen it up with green and yellow pots and it would load up at idle big time ..

Pulling the plugs you could tell the front cylinder was really rich and rear really lean

While a good tuner for stage 1 and pipes look else where with Cams

Thats why I ordered the Doebeck TFI. Adjust 4 pots and no mapping. Dont have to worry about allowing for diferent cams, etc.

This is good info to know. I have the TFI but am considering the 255 cams. Might go with the the PCV. Any one have this setup?

Bubbie, I have a 110 CVO + V&H Tru Duals, I have the Dobeck TFI and the bike came with the HD255 cams. The Dobeck seems to work fine with the cams, the only disappointment is the rev limiter. The Dobeck don't do anything ta that. You should consider doing a stage 1 download, then the cams, then the Dobeck.......otherwise you'll be messing with the thing more times than you need to. When I put my exhaust on I was getting a lot of pop on decel and the bike seemed to be a little sluggish on take off. After the Dobeck, the pop went away and the bike gets off fine. Still ain't done nothing about the rev limiter.

Bubbie, I have a 110 CVO + V&H Tru Duals, I have the Dobeck TFI and the bike came with the HD255 cams. The Dobeck seems to work fine with the cams, the only disappointment is the rev limiter. The Dobeck don't do anything ta that. You should consider doing a stage 1 download, then the cams, then the Dobeck.......otherwise you'll be messing with the thing more times than you need to. When I put my exhaust on I was getting a lot of pop on decel and the bike seemed to be a little sluggish on take off. After the Dobeck, the pop went away and the bike gets off fine. Still ain't done nothing about the rev limiter.

billnapabill,

Sound like the thing to do is What You suggested,,,,, the HD Re-mapp to get the Rev-limit fix Then do the TFI.....

What TFI are you using? The stock one for your size or the one Up for the hotter motor?
Yours probably the bigger sized one in the first place makes sense to me...

Thanks for the replies.

signed....BUBBIE

I just used the stock touring modle, the other one calls for higher compression and the 110 is acually a little lower than the stock 96 TC motor. The 110 is 9.15:1 while the 96 stock is 9.2:1.
The TFI made a big difference, was easy to install and adjust, I'd recommend it to anyone with a new 96 with exhaust/air intake mods, cams or not.
I think I'm gonna remove it this summer and do the download to adjust the rev limiter, although I very seldom hit the limiter now.

Back