free website stats program TFI and altitude changes? | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI and altitude changes?

Hi, I am currently in the process of getting all the parts I need to do the stage one for my 2011 FLHTK. I already have everthing except a fuel manager, and am planning to go with the TFI but have a question about how well it deals with altitude changes while riding. I live in Calgary, Alberta and while riding can experience dramatic changes in altitude in a short period of time, as much as 3000 feet or more in a matter of a couple of hundred km. When riding to the west coast it can be almost 7000 feet in a few hours. As I understand it the O2 sensors on the stock setup adjust for this automatically, however as the TFI (and other options) eliminate the sensors, can the altitude changes produce a noticable difference in how the bike runs? I am not doing the stage one for performance per say, but more for a cooler running engine and a better sound. Thanks in advance.

Wayne

I have the TFI and fully stage one on my 09FLHR..
I have gone from 6/800 ft area to the high country 5800 feet here in Wa. state.

The TFI set where you live(pot # one/green) is the best place to set the Idle/fuel mix.

I have found No difference in the runability of the HD at these alitudes.

If anybody in Az. uses this TFI, they could chime in here as that IS the place to test it out..

ALSO Dobecks has a Special Product Support Thread on HDTimeline.com...

You can ASK them directly and get Their responces....
Go to Our home page , Scroll down til you see Dobecks Support.
They WILL give you the Correct information there.... ASK Away.

I am VERY pleased with My set-up and the bike runs COOLER (felt in the leg) and Much smoother as it is Not LEAN..

I'm getting 40/42 avgerage miles per gal. and ride Mostly at about 60 MPH One and Two up seems to make No difference.

signed....BUBBIE :D

OOPSY, I didn't notice YOU ASKED IN THE RIGHT PLACE......
BUBBIE

No problem at all with mine. We crossed the continental divide 4 times. The only problem we encountered was the lower octane rating in the premium fuel out west. Octane booster is a must.

Redfish - what was the octane rating on the preminum fuel you ran into out west? Were you capped at 89, or was it 91 which still gave you problems. I'm gonna do my darndest to get out west this year, so curious what issues you ran into - thx

Redfish - what was the octane rating on the preminum fuel you ran into out west? Were you capped at 89, or was it 91 which still gave you problems. I'm gonna do my darndest to get out west this year, so curious what issues you ran into - thx

labor knock (ping) was the most common under acceleration. Roll the throttle on slowly gave the best results. Best I can remember the octane varied.

Thank you for the replies guys. It was the answer I was hoping for and it was nice to hear from people who have used one during altitude changes. I will be ordering the TFI later today.

Wayne

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies guys. It was the answer I was hoping for and it was nice to hear from people who have used one during altitude changes. I will be ordering the TFI later today.

Wayne

Make sure when ordering you mention hdt membership as it should save you a few pennies

Brian

Thanks Fin, I will be ordering online so hopefully there will be a way to enter that comment. The strange thing is, I had my dealer do a factory download on my 09 Ultra and they charges $275.00 for it. With our dollar at or above par right now the TFI will cost about the same and will do a better job on my 2011.

Wayne

Back