free website stats program tank sealer peeling | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

tank sealer peeling

That has got to be murder to completely strip out,,clean,, prep the metal and redo,,, all without doing any damage to the outside paint job while using all those powerful chemicals.

I was looking at one companies liner kit. It had to be a 6 step process.

Aye it is a bit of a pest of a job care has to be taken that the tank is properly liquid tight before carefully pouting i the various chemicals and sloshing them around
i used some old inner tube to seal the petcock fitting and an old bit of pipe to join the crossover outlets together and a short bit of pipe with a self tapping screw in the end to block the vent/overflow
then it is time to build some upper body muscle with 30 minutes of sloshing then a wash out with each of the different stages of chemicals
yes it is a pest but some stuff you just have to do to be who you are

Brian

The older Harleys that had the inside of the gas tank painted do not seem to have a peeling problem. This is what you can expect with Harley's lay offs and on again, off again hiring policies. Too bad Harley doen't still parkerized the inside of the gas tanks.

Leedham, I recently had the same problem and upon removal of tank and checking the fuel system all the way to the float bowl and seeing no problems. The problem cost me a carb rebuild prior to this. It continued to happen and my local INDY checked it and needed to replace the carb needle again due to wear from trash in the tank. Got some advice from an "old school" rider I was running with one day and bought a 3 stage kit from "redkote" Take some BB's ot bolt nuts or a length of small chain. Put it in the tank and slide it around thoroughly then flush and let dry. Then follow directions on the "redkote" system clean & prep kit ( $50 ) w/shipping. I have since put about 1,000 miles on it since and it hasen't even hiccuped. You can find the info with a Google search for redkote. After you've knocked the bulk of the junk off the inside and treated the tank the coating will suspend any leftover junk in there and is impervious to gas. With or with out ethanol. Good luck.

Okay, I got my tank back. The local radiator shop here in Massachusetts did it up quick. The brand they used was Red Kote. I'm gonna make it a habit to check annually for any pealage issues and post what I find. Thank you all for your interest !!!

Cost was $190.00. I figured I'd pay half if I did it myself but figuring they do it all the time, they must have the technique down to a science. The brand thet used was " Red Kote "

Well I paid $51 for the kit plus shipping and did it myself so I think $190 is a fair price to do it all. Congrats on the repair and if it works like it did for me you'll be very happy.

I have a 2002 FXSTI that had the fuel filter changed at 30K miles. The dealer told me that the lining is flaking off. I was mad ($15K bike go figure (EDIT) )and just took the bike home after the filter was replaced. It ran much better that year and is still running good. I don't believe that it can be repaired and last so I'm just keep on draining the tank when it has a gallon left every month. There are less flakes that come out and they are heavy and sink fast. After any filling at the station I wait about 20 second to make sure it has settled and never run the tank dry. So after 6K, I still do not have problems and plan to change the filter every 20K.

What do you think out there?

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 2002 Road King Classic and noticed that the engine began to miss intermittantly. It is now at a Harley Dealership having the gas tank resealed. I also am having a new fuel line, fuel filter, and fuel regulator replaced. Hopefully this will resolve the issue. I was told that my tank liner had begun to bubble and flake and that it was due to ethanol. I had started using ethanol stabilizer a couple of months ago, but I guess I had waited to late. I will still continue to use it once I get my bike back home from the shop.

Back