free website stats program tank sealer peeling | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

tank sealer peeling

Just pulled my tank for several reasons. The liner had completly peeled from the hump area under the fill area. After removing the Canopy I found several ares where the liner had been peeling. It's interesting to note that some areas were very clean (smooth, clean bare metal) and others looked like they had been splashed with some kind of liquid pryor to coating the inside of the tank. I rinsed the tank out with a strong water spray which helped remove most of the loose liner. After it set for awhile the slight rust that formed high lighted the pattern of whatever was in the tank befor they coated it. I also discovered why my gas gauge and low fuel light were so wrong (the last 1/3 tank went real fast and the light might only give you 5 - 8 miles before you were empty). The left crossover fitting had been brazed shut when the tank was made. The brass actually flowed down the sides of the tube and went back up the inside of the tube till it filled itself to the same level as the liquid brass on the out side of the tank. It took better than an hour to drill a pilot hole thru the plug and cut it out with a dremel tool with a small cutter. What's really agravating is that 2 1/2 years ago a Tech at a dealer (he didn't last long there) replaced the sending unit and said the tank was clean. Sorry I am venting. While I take a break from shaking the tank. Where the liner stuck it is holding up exstremly well against the nuts and screws. I would guess that the problem with the liner failing was more in the application process than the liner itself.

Back