free website stats program tank sealer peeling | Harley Davidson Forums

tank sealer peeling

leedham

Hello all,

While chasing down an intermittant hesitation/ skipping/ missing problem on my 2002 Road King with 15000 miles, I decided to replace the fuel filter. I got it out and got a good look inside the tank and realized the possible problem. The factory tank sealer is wrinkling and flaking off. Now tell me.... is ethanol the real problem? I'm having the local radiator shop romove and reseal the tank. The fuel around here is all 10% ethanol. Any thoughts out there ???

Thanks again !!!

is ethanol the real problem?

Wow, I sure hope not. There would be an epidemic of tank problems.

Would you happen to know how they strip the inside and redo it? Is it epoxy?
I take it that the reseal will be completely ethanol resistant.

curious about this too, since I noticed that happening inside my tank too when I replaced my filter, hoses, etc on my '01 RKC.....

I will definitly keep you all informed. So far, I know they mentioned " chemical" stripper. I will ask about epoxy and ethanol resistance

I have heard of this before, a friend of mine used Sta-Bil in his 78 Super Glide and started having trouble's, the engine was cutting out and the filter was clogged with the tank sealer. Have you ever used this stuff thats one possibility.

A buddy suggested that the original owner may have used a chemical prior to storage. That made me remember that I used a fuel injecter cleaner over the past few months. He didn't think the injecter cleaner would have had this effect but maybe the possibility of a long term stogage chemical would.

I'm the original owner of my bike, and never used any additives at all. Actually thought if I did use "sta-bil" it may not have happened, but in my case, I think it was either because of the gas/ethanol mix or just "old" gas...

Not a pretty sight !!

That has got to be murder to completely strip out,,clean,, prep the metal and redo,,, all without doing any damage to the outside paint job while using all those powerful chemicals.

I was looking at one companies liner kit. It had to be a 6 step process.

Back