free website stats program Sturgis | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sturgis

went this year for the first time with my sweetie both of us in are early 50s and had a time of or life seemed like a short ride there from near columbus took us just 2 full days to get there rented a Aframe in Rochford was a bit out of the way and the gravel roads to it had me a little bugged along with the deer alongside the road looking at us but had no troubles and seen alot of sites Loved Devils tower spent the afternoon there and liked Crasy horse and Mt Rushmore but with Rochford being about 1/2 hour out the cabin made sure we made it there by dark the 30 degree incline stone driveway to the Aframe was a bit of a ride to do after riding all day. Would I do it agian Yep got the Aframe booked agian for next year this time going to take 2 weeks and heading to Yellowstone the first week! guess were still fit enough because we have no thoughts of the trailer yet I think it because it the thrill of the ride and the chalenge of the unknown to get there that is the thrill!

Live long and hide hard Life is short enjoy it!

Mike

Went a couple of years ago and we stayed in Rapid city. We traveled from Ohio and spent 3 days in Sturgis then on to the West coast. The rides around Sturgis are great, but during the rally, the roads are really crowded. I'd love to go back, just not during the rally.

4 couples with our 09 and 2010 UC's with pop up tent trailers are getting a route planded, up to Canada after the rally,. we are thinking 3 weeks on the road

The number 1 advice I can give you is BE CAREFULL ........the South Dakota law enforcement see this rally as hitting a jackpot......... it is all about the money......don't give them a chance to take yours........the saying is true "Go to South Dakota on vacation....Come home on probation"

First, staying outside Sturgis is a good way to go. Sturgis is waaaaaaaaaaay too crowded. Second, the road between Rapid City and Sturgis/Deadwood is fine...a superslab, covered with bikes, but no real congestion.

Last year was my first year. I stayed 2 nights in Rapid City and 4 nights outside of Deadwood. Both were just fine. After all, you're there for the riding.

I stayed a full week and am going back next year because I didn't get to ride everywhere I wanted. And, I really didn't spend any time in Sturgis or Deadwood.

We hit Mt. Rushmore, Needles Highway, Custer State Park, Badlands, Crazy Horse, and Devils Tower.

Best riding I've done so far...can't wait to go back.

One thing...everyone will have different ideas of where they want to go and what they want to do. Best advice I have: Live and let live! Don't try to be too organized!

First, staying outside Sturgis is a good way to go. Sturgis is waaaaaaaaaaay too crowded. Second, the road between Rapid City and Sturgis/Deadwood is fine...a superslab, covered with bikes, but no real congestion.

Last year was my first year. I stayed 2 nights in Rapid City and 4 nights outside of Deadwood. Both were just fine. After all, you're there for the riding.

I stayed a full week and am going back next year because I didn't get to ride everywhere I wanted. And, I really didn't spend any time in Sturgis or Deadwood.

We hit Mt. Rushmore, Needles Highway, Custer State Park, Badlands, Crazy Horse, and Devils Tower.

Best riding I've done so far...can't wait to go back.

One thing...everyone will have different ideas of where they want to go and what they want to do. Best advice I have: Live and let live! Don't try to be too organized!

Pretty much my own experience this year, which was also my first year. Never had any problem with any of the roads, although I arrived for the last 3 days of the rally. Stayed about 30 miles outside of Sturgis near Spearfish. I expect the roads might be more crowded at the beginning of the rally. Going back next year and am again staying near Spearfish.

If you have never been there I highly rec it the canyons are nice rides altho it does get crowded u can go a week before a few days after and still have a great time. When I lived in Mn. agroup of us would ride out every year 660 miles each way in 10 hors alot of good riding

.... MOTORHOMED it to sturgis in my OLD 1984 23' class A winny... several years in a row. pulling my "ride" in a small single closed trailer..

Staying @ crooked creek resort, right below mt rushmore...comfortable and riding bike every day morn-night... ( WE usually put on 1200 mi. on bike while @ black hills/sturgis area for the rally)

NOW I don't get bothered (too much) by ANYBODY saying ? trailer? RIDE THE BIKE THERE ... blaw blaw blaw..... but followed by SISSY!

THEMS FIGHTN WORDS!!!!!!!

MY usual reply is the bike will make it BUT I worry about the motor home.....

ON one trip from wa. to sturgis... Coming into montana (missoula) the oil pressure DROPED on the home , spun bearing..
After installing a box REBUILT 454 and 100 EASY miles to bute mt. stopping for the night BUT a week later ,,,trying to make a little of sturgis YET... the NEW motor started tap tap then KNOCKED ....

Back to carl tyler chev and another 454 motor, this time a MR.goodwrench NEW 1992 @ 4300$$+ install .... NO problems with this motor but sturgis was over... AT least the ralley part..... and 2 credit cards later...

BIKE IN TOW
We traveled some of the "off the beaten path" and our days riding the bike on back roads n little towns never been before (montana,Idaho,oregon) really nice to have the Mo HOME with you... stop n stay any place i want!

THE following year I rode the bike and stayed in motels.... the bike made it just FINE like always... WASTED $$$$ for motels in exchange for the LOST comfort of the motor home....

I'LL CHOOSE MOTOR HOME over the "RIDE THE BIKE" any time....

JUST DON"T CALL ME SISSY

signed....BUBBIE

Back