free website stats program Sturgis | Harley Davidson Forums

Sturgis

ksboy

Account Removed
I have been making excuses for years about not going to Sturgis. Bike won't make it, too much money, no time, too far, etc. I have decided that next year is it (not this year cause I don't have the time:) ). Here's my plan: I can get about 20 riders to go. Any more and we will break into 2 groups (otherwise too many gas breaks). Wife pulls a trailer to haul bikes that are down (figure with my old shovel it might not be a bad idea). I know some people who live an easy 30 miles from Sturgis and would put us up. Would it be better to just stay at one of the campgrounds or are the camps overcrowded and chaotic? Would the road between Rapid City and Sturgis be too congested to ride between? Also, when is the best time to go, early, mid or late? Who's gone and would you go back? Any other info or experiences to make mine better would be appreciated.

I have never been but work with a friend who is there now for his 9th year. If you have somewhere to stay just 30 miles away I would jump on it. Personally I would like to go outside of the Sturgis time frame and ride the roads. My buddy says it is some of the best riding around. Good luck.

Went in 04 and had the best time of my life, unforgettable! We stayed at Creekside Campground near Full Throttle Saloon and it was wild. I plan on staying in a cabin near Deadwood next year. Go the first week and save a trip to The Devils Tower near Hulett, Wyoming for Wednesday. They have a big party in Hulett every year called No Panty Wednesday! Make the trip from Sturgis through Aladdin, Wyoming and stop at the store there, nice folks and the population is like 13 or something. Spent 4 day's in Sturgis and hit Custer state park, Mt Rushmore, Badlands, Crasy Horse and did every ride we could. Then packed up and went to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming and Grand Teton and stayed at a KOA campground in Cody just east of Yellowstone. You'll need 2 days there for sure.

It really depends what you want. Living here in Rapid City, I feel the WORST time of the year to ride is during the rally. I usually park my bike or, at most, just ride back and forth to work. If you want to come here to party, come during the rally because the crowds and concerts are going on (even though Steve Tyler fell off the stage last night after only 5 songs). If you want to ride, come the week prior to the rally because the vendors are already setting up shop and the hills aren't congested. I would NOT recommend the Buffalo Chip as a campground because it's just a big field; however, that is where all the BIG concerts and parties are held. The Glenco campground is nicer because it has some trees for shade. There's lots of smaller campgrounds around the hills that are nice but they're off the beaten path. If you want to stay in a hotel you better book it NOW because they're filling up fast. Lots of wealthy types rent local homes near Sturgis but you need quite a bit of cash for that. Well, fingers are tired.....start planning now.

You should check with the highway departments in the various states that you plan to traverse. The southern entrance to Yellowstone is presently dug up and hazardous for motorcycles for 10 miles. Also, part of highway 14 south of Sheridan is also torn up for a few miles. The torn up portions are just dirt, gravel, sand, etc.

You gotta go. This is Mecca for bikers. Like Nike says, "Just do it!"

I agree. I'm writing this on the porch outside a motel about 20 miles from Sturgis. Easy ride over and back. It's my first trip and I loved it. You can read all the descriptions you want and watch all the TV specials you want but there's no substitute for actually going. I'll be back next year. Already made my reservations.

My #1 reason to go is to see all those bikes. I guess the second reason is to say I did it. The wild stuff I can get enough of at rallies closer if I wanted. Thanks again for all the info guys.
Jim, I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip buddy.

My #1 reason to go is to see all those bikes. I guess the second reason is to say I did it. The wild stuff I can get enough of at rallies closer if I wanted. Thanks again for all the info guys.
Jim, I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip buddy.

Thanks, ksboy. You will be amazed not only by the number of bikes but also by all the different kinds. It is a sight to be seen and it changes every time you look. When you make the trip, you need to bring clothes for just about every kind of weather. It was 80 degrees and sunny this morning. A few hours later it was cold with rain and lightening. Finally, it was back in the 70's but humid.

Back