free website stats program Starting the 103ci when hot | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting the 103ci when hot

I had pinging happening on my '10 after I had the stage 2 done to my bike during same conditions as you describe. I had it back to the dealer several times where they loaded different maps, kept going back until I was satisfied. Ultimately they did rid my bike of the pinging. In the end, they only told me they changed some settings and it may be exactly what Hoople has said about the Ion sensing being turned off.

I did install my TFI after the maps got straightened out just to cool it down a tad further.

That's not just the wind hitting the microphone? That was the sound of the engine?

Have you checked for codes using a WOW test? If not, do it.
Also check with dealer to see if 2 features are ON or OFF. Detonation is something you can't put off.

Some of it was wind, but you can really hear the pinging in the first few seconds as I accelerated up to 65mph.

I will check with the dealer today on the settings of those two features. I'm hoping the "experienced" service manager is there today. When I stopped by yesterday to get the spark plug charge on my bill figured out, only the new kid was working who gave me "they all do that" line.

The frustrating thing is it has not been pinging at all since I got back to the flat eastern side of South Dakota.

Also - filled up this morning, and the mpg's on this tank were 39.75... that is definitely on the low range of what I normally experience.

Have you checked for codes using a WOW test? If not, do it.

Ran through all the WOW test options on my lunch hour... no codes at all. Then I took a ride over into Iowa where I know there are a couple longer hills. Not a single ping. Did one hill with the cruise set at 68mph, then hit another hill and held at 72mph all the way up... bike is running like brand new. Go figure.

I have a 2012 Roadking Classic and when it gets hot it's hard to start most of the time. I had a 2011 Heritage before this and it didn't do it. :DHowever the Heritage was a 96 not a 103….:D

I have a 2012 Heritage Softail with the 103 ci motor and it does the same thing. It always takes a few extra cranks before starting. My bike seems like it has just been one headache after another. I live in Illinois and I bought this bike back in September and with the mild winter I was able to ride almost the whole winter through. Just a few months after buying the bike I had a problem with a nasty wooble. Turned out that almost every spoke on the rear wheel were loose. After fixing that problem I had a flat tire on the rear. After I replaced the tire the wooble has returned but it kinda starts out slow and get worse with speed. I checked spokes and they are fine so I figured when they changed the tire they either didn't balance the tire or the screwed up the alignment. So it's not much fun to ride at this time. anyways, I hope you figure it out, maybe it will help figure out if its my problem why mine isn't firing right up also.

I wonder if the prior owner had these issues and that is why he traded it in after one ride season? I absolutely love this bike, just hope I can get these bugs resolved.

Headed across South Dakota to the Black Hills this afternoon. Bike ran great for the most part. Had a very slight pinging on the interstate on some hills at the hottest part of the day. Got stopped for a few minutes in a construction zone so I shut the bike down. Sure enough, on restart it was crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank... I just grit my teeth and keep that start button pushed until it fires.

Since my servicing dealer doesn't seem to think there are any problems, I'm going to stop by Black Hills HD in the morning and talk to one of their service guys. They've got to have seen everything with all the bikes that travel through here.
WAP.gif

Took the bike into the dealer where I bought it. They said they checked calibration and installed a software update. Time will tell if that solves the problems. The heat wave has finally eased here, didn't have any issues on the 60 mile ride home from Sioux Falls last evening. I'll be riding as much as I can the next couple days to see how it goes.

Rob,

Not going back to read the post again.... If No one said this?

Thought: Make sure you're NOT touching the throttle by wire at all when starting?

IF i touch my throttle it will be hard to start, especially Hot start and HOT out.

signed....BUBBIE

Back