free website stats program Starting the 103ci when hot | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting the 103ci when hot

i fixed mine i got rid of it and will not buy another went back to a 2003 roadking twice the bike as the 2012 steet glide. more issues going on with that 103 than i care to disscuse

Rob,

Not going back to read the post again.... If No one said this?

Thought: Make sure you're NOT touching the throttle by wire at all when starting?

IF i touch my throttle it will be hard to start, especially Hot start and HOT out.

signed....BUBBIE

Nope, don't touch the throttle. I did try once or twice just giving it a slight twist and it didn't seem to make a difference, unless I gave it too much then it would not start at all. I assume it works like the fuel injection on a lot of cars where it shuts the fuel off completely if you put the pedal to the floor.

Me and my bike are loving the 70s and low 80s we are having this weekend.

Had the bike back at the dealer today. The service manager rode the bike and heard it ping. Wonder why he didnt do that last week when it was in? Anyway, he said HD has a new ECM update, however, they will have to ship my bike's ECM to the factory so they can install it. Something about the EPA hasn't approved it for dealers to install. It's only been installed on a handful of 103s so far but supposedly solves the pinging problem.

They have to get back to me next week to set up another time for me to drop the bike off for who knows how long so they can send In the ECM. I'm thinking HD should be giving me a loaner if it's more than a few days.

The wife told me I should just trade it in on a new one and hope I don't get another lemon.

Hope this is the final update...

The bike was back in the shop last week, they sent the ECM back to Harley and it was reset/reloaded/whatever... So far so good. Haven't noticed any pinging and the bike is starting and running good. We had a 96 degree day earlier in the week, if it was going to ping, it would have done it then. Wish I had time to get out to the Black Hills again since it pinged a lot in while riding there, but doesn't look like that will be possible this fall.

Thanks again for all the input from everyone!

i fixed mine i got rid of it and will not buy another went back to a 2003 roadking twice the bike as the 2012 steet glide. more issues going on with that 103 than i care to disscuse

I did the same thing, ditched my 2011 RG for an 06 RK carbeurated...can't believe the heat difference and no pinging. The 11 would go over 300 degrees on a hot day and 2 weeks ago I had enough! 88 is great, 103 not for me!

Hi Rob & All,

I'm located in the UK (so nowhere near as hot as Dakota i'm sure) but I have just had my 1K service and mentioned this pinging to the dealer, also in hot weather & when stuck in traffic, twice now my 2011/12 ultra classic has slowed the tickover down and let out a massive 'ping' from the engine when giving it a whiff of throttle to correct, thinking the engine is going to cut out
I wondered if anything like this had happened to you?

The dealer reckons that its something to do with the engine turning the spark off in one pot to cool, which he says was set to automatic but my 2010 SG had this function (which I used often) and the tickover never slowed on that, or pinged either.

I also have noticed that it takes more cranks to start than any of my previous Harleys.

How is your bike now after the mod done by your dealer? i'm guessing/hoping better as no more posts?

Thanks for your time

Amos

Welcome to the forum Amos!

I have had two occasions where I was stuck in traffic, and the bike pinged when twisting the throttle from idle. It wasn't really loud though, more of a slight popping... It didn't seem like my rear cylinder had shut off.

I'm still getting some minor pinging now and then. Not nearly as bad as I had this summer. We had one or two 90F+ days since my bike was "fixed"' and the pinging was no worse. I'm guessing the reprogramming helped. I hope to add a Dobeck tuner before next ride season.

As far as starting, this bike has always had to crank a couple extra times compared to other Harley's I've owned. I still occasionally experience an extended 3 or 4 second cranking interval after stopping briefly for fuel, etc. it's not consistent enough, so I have not mentioned it to the dealer. I would guess if it is a legitimate problem, it will get worse and/or happen at every start.

Hope that helps!

Rob.?

Hard starting...

Could you have a slight intake leak? Maybe only when warmed/hot.

This is Like twisting the throttle open a little.... Vacuum is lowered like opening the butterfly valve, letting in Air and dropping the needed manifold pressure...

Just another Thought.

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, that is a good thought. Possibly when a certain mix of conditions come together, a leak occurs? Not sure how to address it. At this point it's a minor annoyance, wonder what the chances are of it getting worse?

Back