free website stats program Starting the 103ci when hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting the 103ci when hot

Just to eliminate this possibility try changing to a different brand just to see if it has an effect. Heat soaking is where fuel additives kick in.

I left out some words. I meant to say " try changing to a different brand of fuel just to see if it has an affect..."

sorry about that..

My 2011 UC Limited 103 has compression releases, if your bike has compression releases installed, it may cause slow hot restarts, I turned mine off with the SESPT based on my tuners recomendation. Bike starts quickly cold or hot now. Just a thought.

My 2011 UC Limited 103 has compression releases, if your bike has compression releases installed, it may cause slow hot restarts, I turned mine off with the SESPT based on my tuners recomendation. Bike starts quickly cold or hot now. Just a thought.

It does have compression release... I did read elsewhere that it can affect the starting.

I was able to get the bike out for a short ride yesterday evening... didn't have any issues. It was only around 60 degrees out. Bike started fine with and without waiting for the fuel pump cycle to complete. I even got all techno-geek and used a stop watch, lol. Longest cranking time was a little over 2 seconds. Now I've got something to compare to when we get back into the 80s and 90's.

Do the 103 have auto compression releases ..
Maybe they are hanging up a bit..or not snapping closed as quick as should..?
A thought.

Figured I'd give an update since we've been in the 90's here most of the week. The bike is running fine with no starting issues at all. I'm beginning to suspect that I got some bad fuel or something? I might have even gotten a couple tanks of questionable gas since I had been doing all my fill ups at the same place. Since I did the 1000 mile over Memorial Day weekend, maybe that burned all the bad stuff off.

At any rate, I'm happy and the bike is happy. :bigsmiley12:

Again, thanks for all the great input!

This isn't a fix, just a 'get you going' suggestion that works for me. It runs counter to other advice, so YMMV...

I have an 88" TC with 203 cams and Stage I. When it's hot out (I live in the Cali. High Desert) I have an issue with starting after the bike 'heat soaks', e.g., 100+ temp ambient, and I've been running on the freeway, shutdown for 15 minutes or so, and try to restart... The bike just cranks. Eventually, after 4 or 5 seconds, it starts running, weakly.

If I give it a blip of the throttle just as I'm hitting the starter button, it starts quickly every time under the given conditions. This suggests to me my bike is lean (per the ECM) under the given circumstances, and needs a shot of fuel to fire.

Alan

If you have availability of non ethynol pure gas, fill several times with the pure gas and I will bet your issue is gone. Several reasons for this, ECM will recalibrate timing with the pure gas, flash point and volitility with "corn" fuel is all over and worse on hot soak restart. I can only get regular pure gas at times and I will use it with an octane booster in leu of the 12% mixed premium. My cats are removed. There is a web site called Puregas.org that you can download a free app for I phone etc that gives you locations by state. You will gain about 10 mpg with the pure gas which offsets the additional cost per gal. The bike will run and pull much better.

Alan - I actually did give the bike a very slight bit of throttle when I was having the starting issues... the engine seemed to catch a little sooner when I did.

Checkers - I wondered about the ethanol blended fuel. It's really popular around these parts, and I know my cage loses around 3mpg's when I use it. The local chain gas station I use here does not have the e-10 sticker on the premium unleaded pump, I thought they were required by law to identify if it was a blend. Their premium is 91 octane. The local Murphy Oil at Walmart has 93 octane, but the pump is clearly marked 10% ethanol.

Was in the dealer today and going to grab some of the octane booster, but they were sold out. :(

The bike for the most part is not giving me any problems. Had one longer crank interval last week after a 10 minute stop. Most of my riding has been too/from work, so the bike sits for several hours between rides. It's supposed to be 96 with nasty humidity here again tomorrow, and I know I'm going to need to make a fuel stop... will be interesting to see if I experience any issues on restart.

Do the pumps service all grades through the same hose? If so you may be getting some corn even with no malfunction of the gas station pump system.

Back