free website stats program Sprung a leak guys... | Harley Davidson Forums

Sprung a leak guys...

RideTheLightning

025bd.jpg

I noticed it as I was riding the other day. You think a stop-leak product would work? The pic is right side, in between the cylinders. '02 Sportster 1200S with roughly 14k miles.

I scheduled a service appt for my 15k service because I got the bike fairly recently and I don't know what's been done to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leak may be just that fastener, I would look into an exploded diagram to find what it is holding down...is it at the V of cylinders, near push rods? BTW I had to shrink your pix, it took almost 4 minutes to load...so please resize your photos using Photobucket editor...

Sorry about the pic size. I usually select, "resize for message boards" but I forgot. In my owner's manual, I just checked and it looks like it is listed as a "timing inspection hole plug."

I, being the idiot I am, poured stop-leak into the gas tank instead of the oil. I am hoping it will just burn off because it is a petroleum product, but we shall see.

Drain the fuel tank at the filter petcock hose/fitting and the carb at the float bowl drain. Get some Berrymans Chemtool, Gumout or SeaFoam in there quick, swirl and drain.

Hopefully that stop leak did not solidify as gasoline is a pretty good solvent, and stop leak is meant to swell seals and gaskets while dispersing tiny pellets that will congeal to fine particles that could cause problems if left alone.

If you did not run the engine you should be done, if you did, additionally you should pull the air cleaner off and spray Gumout Cleaner in the opening with engine running (don't stall it) and make sure the accelerator pump squirt is strong when you throttle up.

Last edited:
Before adding ANYTHING to the oil or fuel, always ask first to save your self grief.

Marvel mystery oil or sea foam should be the only additives used in these bikes in either fuel or oil.

Drain the fuel tank at the filter petcock hose/fitting and the carb at the float bowl drain. Get some Berrymans Chemtool, Gumout or SeaFoam in there quick, swirl and drain.

Hopefully that stop leak did not solidify as gasoline is a pretty good solvent, and stop leak is meant to swell seals and gaskets while dispersing tiny pellets that will congeal to fine particles that could cause problems if left alone.

If you did not run the engine you should be done, if you did, additionally you should pull the air cleaner off and spray Gumout Cleaner in the opening with engine running (don't stall it) and make sure the accelerator pump squirt is strong when you throttle up.

Before adding ANYTHING to the oil or fuel, always ask first to save your self grief.

Marvel mystery oil or sea foam should be the only additives used in these bikes in either fuel or oil.

OH (EDIT)!

I have been running it. I was running it a little today and I went to throttle it and it stalled at one point, or should I continue to drain/ seafoam?

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Drain the tank and clean it thoroughly. I would remove it to do the cleaning, then put fresh gas in and add some Marvel mystery oil to the gas.

Hey, I apologize for the language. I am just freaking out because I haven't had the bike long, and already I goofed up on maintainence/ upkeep and it seems like it could cost me dearly. I suppose it is best to just pop in here and ask a question if I am feeling unsure AT ALL about ANYTHING regarding the bike.

I'm gonna go pick up some Seafoam and/ or Marvel Mystery Oil and drain/ clean the tank.

How bad do you think this could be? :(

Back