free website stats program Sprung a leak guys... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sprung a leak guys...

That appears to be the timing plug, I would try to remove it and apply some sealant IE teflon to the threads and change the oil:D

That appears to be the timing plug, I would try to remove it and apply some sealant IE teflon to the threads and change the oil:D
I can't find anything in my garage big enough to unscrew it lol.

What tool would I need for it anyway? It's hex-shaped, but it's definitely too big for an allen wrench or something to that effect.

If all else fails try a hex nut in the bolt and use a box wrench on the nut then take it to the auto parts store and buy the right size hex bit :D

Alright guys, I just spoke to the guy at the Harley dealer. I am getting a tow to the dealer, they're gonna flush out the system and fix everything that I messed up. Guy at the dealer straight up told me, "don't put stuff in your gas tank like that man!" (he used more colorful language though lol).

Thanks guys.

Sounds liike they will fix things up, but you already learned what hopefully will not be too expensive of a lesson. If you are going to work on your bike you are probalby ging to need some tools, probably want to check around the Tools section for suggestions and visit the shop. For this particular one, it is a hex, but larger then you probably have by default in your toolbox, so go to the parts store and get you one that attaches to a socket wrence. With that you will also want a torque wrench...then finally most importantly...get yourself the manual, it will help you greatly.

Have fun, enjoy the ride, and search around here for some quick tips, answers,, and post when you can't find what you are looking for, plenty guys and gals here that can help.

3/8" allen key will fit that plug handy to have one of those if you ever get a big twin you'll need it to check the transmission oil

Brian

Well guys, turns out the leak was not coming from that timing plug but somewhere around the air filter. Guy on the phone told me this is pretty typical of sportys of this age. I suppose oil was just dripping down to the spot where I took the pic. They flushed and cleaned the fuel system and are performing the 15k service. The front tire appeared to be the original from '02 so it had begun to dry rot.

thanks guys. i gotta learn more about this thing haha. I'll read up.

if it were my bike that gas would be coming out now... don't know what flavor of stop leak was used but that stuff sounds scary to me. I used it in a car's radiator once, as an emergency. i would imagine its going to try and do its job of stopping leaks, unfortunately there are many small passages gas needs to travel, will it stop them thinking they are leaks? i think this could be bad if not cleaned, but i really am not familiar with the product. and how it acts when mixed w/ gas.

i goofed and replied to an old post, delete this if you like (i just woke up) i see this is solved now :) i seen the "how bad could this be" post and just started typing didn't notice page 2...ooops

Oil from the air cleaner is not unusuall in the evo sportsters as the engine breathes excess pressure through the hollow banjo bolts that hold the air cleaner backplate to the heads
the air coming out of the breathers has oil mist in it which can condense when it hits the colder air cleaner
howener the lower rocker covers contain umbrella valves that aloow pressure one way and no oil to drain back into the breather system and can become less efective with age so perhaps new umbrella valves may cure the oil drip issue

Brian

Back