free website stats program Sportster, carb issues again | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster, carb issues again

I see. Okay I will have to research. As for my throttle getting stuck I just fixed that. Thank you very much for the video. Fixed it in minutes. Now onto the slipping clutch...
Lots of vids online that show you how to adjust your clutch and primary chain. Very simple procedures.

I see. Okay I will have to research. As for my throttle getting stuck I just fixed that. Thank you very much for the video. Fixed it in minutes. Now onto the slipping clutch...

Take a look here, make sure you adjust when it's stone cold. Clutch Adjustment By The Book - Harley Davidson Community

I adjusted the primary chain to 1/4 inch play. When I say my clutch is solid, I mean the clutch lever on my bars. It's not hard or too soft when gripped.

1/4 inch play seems a little too tight, make sure you adjust when everything is cold. Take a look in your manual if you have one for the proper free play. If you don't have a manual you should get one. Take a look in the self help section for proper play in the chain if you don't have a manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
The normal Pri. Chain adj. is usually 5/8-3/4" cold. What year is your XL or did I miss that.
tourbox

Tourbox, its an '83 XLS. The poster has another thread under the Sportster forum with some photos and with his request for ideas on modding the bike.

Right well I adjusted before starting the bike. Seems to be running fine now. Re adjusted the carb again. Was popping with some white smoke but gone now. The gears are a bit harder to shift than it was before the new clutch plates, but not sure what that's about.

As for the acceleration I'd say it is 95% matched to the rpm.

Right well I adjusted before starting the bike. Seems to be running fine now. Re adjusted the carb again. Was popping with some white smoke but gone now. The gears are a bit harder to shift than it was before the new clutch plates, but not sure what that's about.

As for the acceleration I'd say it is 95% matched to the rpm.

You may still need to fine tune the clutch. How far do you have to let it out before it engages? How much free travel do you have when it's cold?

You may still need to fine tune the clutch. How far do you have to let it out before it engages? How much free travel do you have when it's cold?
I'd have to go out and double check again. What do you mean by free travel? And if I don't fine adjust all this will it harm my parts or anythinig internal?

I'd have to go out and double check again. What do you mean by free travel? And if I don't fine adjust all this will it harm my parts or anythinig internal?
Grab the clutch lever and lightly pull it in. look at the lever and see how much travel you have before you get resistance.
I believe you should have about a 1/4 inch or less. This should be checked when the bike is cold and not running.

Grab the clutch lever and lightly pull it in. look at the lever and see how much travel you have before you get resistance.
I believe you should have about a 1/4 inch or less. This should be checked when the bike is cold and not running.
Yeah I have less than 1/4 for sure. Maybe around an 1/8

Yeah I have less than 1/4 for sure. Maybe around an 1/8
That should be good then, how far out on the lever before the clutch seems to engage? no grinding when you shift? Your issue maybe just the clutch working itself in and will get better once you get a few miles on it.

Back