free website stats program Sportster, carb issues again | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster, carb issues again

That should be good then, how far out on the lever before the clutch seems to engage? no grinding when you shift? Your issue maybe just the clutch working itself in and will get better once you get a few miles on it.
Well then I rode 50ish miles home from Santa Fe Springs with an unadjusted clutch. I waited to get home to fix it.

As for grinding I do not think so. Bike only has 4 gears, so sometime when I am downshifting, 2 to Neutral is easier than 1st to neutral. And Sometime when I down shift my shift pedal will shake a bit but that might be because I shift too slow and it's trying to be in neutral. Sometimes it kicks into neutral in 3-4 gear.

Also I just went back out to see how far I release the lever before the clutch engages. I'd say about a 1/4 inch and then it starts to roll. I understand it is an old bike, 34 years old, so Should I be expecting a harder ride?

Last edited:
Just my opinion and hopefully someone else will chime in but I think it's engaging to soon, you should be able to let it out some more before it engages/ starts to move. This could be the reason for a harder shift.

Just my opinion and hopefully someone else will chime in but I think it's engaging to soon, you should be able to let it out some more before it engages/ starts to move. This could be the reason for a harder shift.

I see. And fixing this would be, another adjustment?

Adjusted clutch and carb again. Fine tuned. Runs like a dream now. I genuinely appreciate everyone for their help. Means a lot. Thank you!

Back