free website stats program Sportster, carb issues again | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster, carb issues again

Sentinel

Right so I put new clutch plates in and a new bearing clutch assembly. Runs fine. But I got it back from my mechanic due to some electrical issues, and they re tuned it again although it wasn't proper.

When I twist the throttle, it's ok but doesn't snap back after you've given it gas. It just slowly goes back or sits in place until you fully untwist it.

Also when I do give throttle, my bike doesn't, accelerate like it used to. Could this be carb related because I fine tuned it myself and it was way too much gas. I will give throttle but when it's mid throttle all it does is make noise and you can hear the high rpms. It doesn't GO.

What could be the cause of this?

Your throttle issue sounds like you have a bind somewhere. Double check the routing of the cable itself, that there are no sharp bends and that the inner cable slides smoothly. Should not be loose or sloppy, but it should move easily. I don't know if there is a return spring somewhere but if there is, be sure it is installed correctly and working. Also check that the star wheel on the handlebar is not tight on the throttle.

As for increasing RPM and not accelerating, that is a clutch issue. Double check that all is assembled correctly then adjust the clutch per the service manual. Be sure to loosen the clutch cable and tie back the clutch lever as instructed.

Keep us posted.

Your throttle issue sounds like you have a bind somewhere. Double check the routing of the cable itself, that there are no sharp bends and that the inner cable slides smoothly. Should not be loose or sloppy, but it should move easily. I don't know if there is a return spring somewhere but if there is, be sure it is installed correctly and working. Also check that the star wheel on the handlebar is not tight on the throttle.

As for increasing RPM and not accelerating, that is a clutch issue. Double check that all is assembled correctly then adjust the clutch per the service manual. Be sure to loosen the clutch cable and tie back the clutch lever as instructed.

Keep us posted.
Alright I'll do that. Would it more or less the clutch plate too far in? Or would it be a cable adjustment? It's an old bike so I expect a bit of a harder clutch like it is now.

Yeah it is pretty solid right now. Solid as in, how it was before and it feels good

Your OP says your rpm's go up when your on the throttle but your bike isn't moving along with the given rpm's, that is an adjustment problem. If you install new parts you need to readjust your clutch release mechanism. So you say it's solid now, does that mean you adjusted it and the clutch isn't slipping anymore? Also while you were in the primary did you check the adjustment on the primary chain?

Your OP says your rpm's go up when your on the throttle but your bike isn't moving along with the given rpm's, that is an adjustment problem. If you install new parts you need to readjust your clutch release mechanism. So you say it's solid now, does that mean you adjusted it and the clutch isn't slipping anymore? Also while you were in the primary did you check the adjustment on the primary chain?

I adjusted the primary chain to 1/4 inch play. When I say my clutch is solid, I mean the clutch lever on my bars. It's not hard or too soft when gripped.

Which exactly is the clutch release mechanism? And how would I know my clutch is slipping? Sorry still new to this stuff

Which exactly is the clutch release mechanism? And how would I know my clutch is slipping? Sorry still new to this stuff

If your bike is winding up (RPM's) and the bike is not moving to match the rpm's your clutch is slipping.

If your bike is winding up (RPM's) and the bike is not moving to match the rpm's your clutch is slipping.
I see. Okay I will have to research. As for my throttle getting stuck I just fixed that. Thank you very much for the video. Fixed it in minutes. Now onto the slipping clutch...

Back