free website stats program SMELL??? What is it? | Harley Davidson Forums

SMELL??? What is it?

Broncster

I have an 06 HD Road King Classic, and noticed that when I drove/parked it, it had a really strange smell. I would say that it smells something like the drive belt is burning. After researching a little, I am not sure that it may be the stator or clutch may be bad. What do you guys think?

Yeah, I smell it too.:bigsmiley20:

Open up the derby cover and take a wiff. If it's the clutch or stator, you'll know right away.

When I had my 07 flhx I had a funky smell also.Never did find out. Seams to be quite common from what I hear. Good luck on the sorce post if you ever find out.

As Glider said above, open up one of the primary covers and take a whiff. If it is your stator fryin' the oil, you will know it. Unmistakable. Before you do it, take a sniff on a brand new bottle of Formula Plus or whatever you use in the primary. Then pop the primary open and compare. If it is the fried oil smell, get the book out!!

TQ

Did that once and found out it was just the drippy fluids that were left on the underside of my bike when the fluids were changed out. Nope, not me, but the dealership! They also didn't get the saddlebag totally on either. I guess you can't expect any better for only paying $65 an hour. :eam
Ugly John

Thats right Ugly John - the oil change guy most likely knows less about a harley than the average guy - do it your self next time - You and your bike will be better served.
UD

You did notice the "Did it once". :D Never been changed since then by the dealership. Nada, last time etc... In fact if the bike goes in for warranty, I ask that don't wash the bike. I'll clean any oil stuff off once it's out in the parking lot!

I then do a walk around and check it out to make sure everything is on and tight. Not that I don't trust 'em, but I like the warm and fuzzy feel once I've done the once over. :D In fact I do this before most rides anymore. It is a Harley and stuff gets loose!
Ugly John

You did notice the "Did it once". :D Never been changed since then by the dealership. Nada, last time etc... In fact if the bike goes in for warranty, I ask that don't wash the bike. I'll clean any oil stuff off once it's out in the parking lot!

I then do a walk around and check it out to make sure everything is on and tight. Not that I don't trust 'em, but I like the warm and fuzzy feel once I've done the once over. :D In fact I do this before most rides anymore. It is a Harley and stuff gets loose!
Ugly John

Same here, I started telling them not to clean the bike anymore. All they did is clean the "easy" surface spots and I ended up with soap stains everywhere else.

The worst oil change I ever had was a loose drain plug. Luckily, I caught it the next morning before going on a long ride on the weekend. Would have killed the engine for sure and then the hassles would have started because the bike was out of warranty.

Needless to say, I ain't using that dealership anymore.

Bernhard

Each of these have very distinct smells.You mentioned the drive belt.That would smell like rubber/plastic burning.Id check the belt and tires for scuff marks first, not uncommon to have a bolt loosen and cause havoc in these areas.

Back