free website stats program SMELL??? What is it? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SMELL??? What is it?

You bring up a good point about the scuff marks. There's been a few where the rubber flap on the belt guard has found it's way to rub either on the tire or the belt. May be worth looking at.

Boy, that could be a hard smell to isolate. If all else fails, see if you can capture the smell in an empty Mayo jar and send it to me. I will run it through our analytical discomboobulator for an analysis.

Man I'd sniff that thing out for you if my left nostril wasn't making that squeeky sound when I exhale or that disturbing bubble gophering out of my right nose hole wan't expanding in direct porportion to my inability to breath. So good luck with that man.

I have a 89 fxsts and i smell a rank stench from my primary oil. do you think it could be similar????

I have a 89 fxsts and i smell a rank stench from my primary oil. do you think it could be similar????

If you have a burnt smell coming from the derby cover, and your fluid is jet black like black ink, it is VERY likely that your stator will have one or more burnt coils. You need to get the HD Factory Service Manual covering your model and year, and follow those instructions to open up the primary, remove the compensator, clutch basket and chain, and then pull the rotor off the drive shaft. I am betting that your stator will look something like the attached. If so, you will need to replace it.

696d1209397789-testing_the_charging_system-stator_1.jpg

As a note, we have seen that usually when the stator or the Voltage Regulator goes, the other goes right behind it. It might pay to change out both the VR and the stator now if you find the stator burnt.

TQ

I second the recommendation on changing the Voltage regualtor / rectifier. My '03 Ultra that I just bought in July quite charging the weekend before last. I tested the stator and found it shorted to ground (this means fried like a big dog). I got the tools together and changed out the stator in a few hours. Started the bike and thought I was golden. I started checking the charging system more closely and notice after starting it took a good 30 to 45 seconds in order for the volt meter to ~ 15.0 VDC. I did more checking and found the voltage regualtor was fried too. So i changed it out and viola the bike is finally running right.

I want to say manny thanks to the wonderful people on this forum...I read about making a home made primary drive chain lock out of a teflon cutting board by another forum member heere. that proved to be an incredible tip! That was the only way I could get compensator nut loose and the bike disassembled and the stator replaced.:p:p

Good luck!

- Mike

Last edited:
My '03 Ultra that I just bought in July ...

Rhoades,

Welcome to the Forum. Not trying to highjack this thread or put a scare in ya, but since you just got the '03 UC, I suggest that pretty soon you open up the cam chest and check your cam chain tensioner shoes! They go with no warning!!

TQ

Back