free website stats program Shaking at idle | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shaking at idle

Glider; Thanks for the info. It's going to take me a couple of read throughs to understand "Ion sensing". I'm not kidding when I say that the more I know about Harleys, the less I understand, it's the truth! :bigsmiley28:

New plugs installed but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The gas was tested and did NOT contain lead but rather just high levels of toluene. Toluene I have used in the past on all types of vehicles with no problems. It is simply an octane booster such as 104 Octane but I can buy it in bulk. Have not used any in the Harley other than the "test" since the motor doesn't require additional octane. Still shaking more than it ever did originally. I am still unsure why the dealer thought it was normal. Any one else have a severally shaking 96 inch motor at idle?

The 96 does shake a bit at idle. Maybe try another tank of gas from a different station and see what that tells you.

Someone asked "How could using non Harley plugs set a code"? Another person mentioned using the Champion brand spark plugs as an alternative to the Harley brand plugs. I am not a Harley engineer by any means but I have been told by a family member who does work in the York plant that the Harley brand plugs use a different resistor than the Champion plugs which will cross reference from the Harley plugs. He says that when the bikes internal computer (2008 & 2009) adjusts the spark a bit due to different gasoline octanes and conditions, it relies on these Harley plugs with their special resistor to do this correctly. He also says that if you use the Screaming Eagle add on plugs which the dealers push so hard, you will also not have benefit of the special resistor which the stock 6R12 uses. When it comes to plugs and oil filters, I always stick to what the manufacturer sells.

I don't recall reading if anyone checked to see if there were any codes recorded in the Diag. log??
If there is a problem with a sensor, I would think it would throw a code. If one or both of the O2 sensors are fouled, I would expect to see a code.

No codes per dealer. Idle still way roougher than it used to be. Almost seems like a slight miss from one of the cylinders at idle. Very intermitent miss though.

No codes per dealer. Idle still way roougher than it used to be. Almost seems like a slight miss from one of the cylinders at idle. Very intermitent miss though.

Have a few questions:
1) Does the engine start OK. Do you experience excessive cranking to get it started. Does it spin and sound like it is about to start but won't.
While the engine is at Rough idle, do you smell a Rich exhaust. Let the engine idle with the new plugs. Then pull both plugs, what color are they.

2) Does the engine miss clear up when above 1500 RPM. When cruising with steady throttle can you feel any trace of the miss. If it was not for the poor idle would the bike be running "Fine". Other than the idle are all other running conditions (roll on throttle in 3rd gear etc) Good.

Hoop!

Back