free website stats program Shaking at idle | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shaking at idle

It's a Harley, my bags shake, horn looks like it could fall off(rubber mounted)forks,front tire moves......:s

leaded gas will ruin o2 sensors.while at the dealer last week a guy brought his bike in to get it dyno tuned.in the process of watching all the dyno work he brings up the fact he put racing gas in his bike.service mgr hears him and first question he askes is if it was unleaded because if not it will ruin the sniffer sensors as well as the bike sensors. don't understand why anyone would set up a sert to run on racing gas for street application.didn't understand why he put the 103 stage 4 kit in either till i seen the numbers.112 tq and 110 hp. when they were done.

It's a Harley. Ride it and enjoy it. I like the vibration at idle as long as it stays smooth as silk while riding.

I also have a 2008 Road Star Silverado S that doesn't shake much at idle but vibrates/buzzes more the faster you go.

I'd much rather have the vibration at idle than while you are riding down the road.

Last edited:
I have an 09 Street Glide with about 13000 miles on it. At about 9500 it changed the way it ran at idle. Got rougher also? Asked dealer to check it out for 10000 mile checkup & they said nothing was wrong. Now it starts up funny. Starts right up then almost stalls, This morning it did stall. Started right up again then OK? Now at idle at stop lights it used to stay at 1000RPMs now it will bounce from 1000 to 700 then back up? Not all the time? Going to take it back into the dealer this week.

check gas tank for lining coming apart see other posts on this forum happened to my 01 idle low did intakes etc still shaked tank was messed up clogs up mb

Mine started do the same thing, once I stopped to wait for trafic to pass so I could make a left hand turn, a guy standing on the side of the road yelled at me "Hay your motors shaking", I said yeah I know it's a Harley, but it was way bad, anyway I ran some seafoam through it and it cleared up on the first tank.
Terry

My 09 shakes pretty good at idle. Always has. All of the other 96c.i. motors (that I have ever seen) do too. I guess the thing that makes me a little suspicious about yours is you said it ran extremely smooth when new. Now that's not normal. These motors do NOT idle smoothly, ever. If it's a miss, that's a different story.

My 09 shakes pretty good at idle. Always has. All of the other 96c.i. motors (that I have ever seen) do too. I guess the thing that makes me a little suspicious about yours is you said it ran extremely smooth when new. Now that's not normal. These motors do NOT idle smoothly, ever. If it's a miss, that's a different story.
When I bought my 02 Road Glide I was out front of the Dealer, he was delivering my bike and a Soft Tail, both of us "new Harley owners" started our bikes at the same time. After a little bit and some choke adjustment, puttn on gear and such. The guy that had the Soft Tail looked at my bike and said "Looks like there's something wrong with your bike there, look at that thing shake compared to mine", point is, unless it's a B motor it's gonna shake. I agree the 96 shakes more than the 88 but lets face it, it's stroked, that means the pistons take a longer time to go up and down, and Harley added a frame to the top of the motor, motormount, on the front cylinder, hence more vibration. Ya wanna do someting about it? Install the Dobeck TFI and adjust it properly, my CVO runs SWEET with that thing on it. You guys that got bikes stalling on ya and stuff like that, need to get em into the Dealer, that ain't right. The rest of us, we need to "ride em like we stole em!".

Back