free website stats program Rookie, need some help | Harley Davidson Forums

Rookie, need some help

65bug

Hi guys,
Cool forums! I am thinking about buying my first Harley. My dad has had to and just purchased a 1200 Sportster(08). Brand new!
I cannot afford new right now due to the economy and a room addition that I am finishing up.
So, I found a 01 Softail Duece. 9400 original miles. Two Tone red and black. Vance and Hines pipes, injection update and air cleaner update. Spoke front wheel with twisted diamond cut spokes.
Tons of chrome! All over the engine. Chrome Primary cover. Chrome sprocket cover of rear sprocket.
Nice condition. Then I looked hard. Dent in front rim edge and light creas in front fender. Both side where it bolts to the shocks.
Other then that stock paint. Nice! The dealer claimed that I scored in at tier 2 credit. Tier 1 being best and 7 being worst.
Bike price 11,995.00
Total bike price 13,953.63
Financing for 6 years 5,825.09
Total purchase price 18,378.72 Thats with a full 1 year warrantee.
Now, correct me if I am wrong but I could get a new Softail Heritage classic for that price less financing. I really think I need to start hammering on them on the price. What do you guys think? I DO NOT know what I am looking at or doing as far as a Harley's go or really what I am lookign at as far as all the add on parts.
I would appreciate any help,as I want a FAIR DEAL at least. I was thinking of offering 11,000.00 out the door less financing of course.
Thank you PS This would be my first Harley. I am 43 years old

I have some pics but cannot post until I get 5 posts in! Ok, waiting on someone to help me out here!LOL!!!
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
The KBB price on that bike is Suggested Retail Value of $11,815 so the asking price is nothing to jump up and down about. The dealers have to move the bikes or they loose on the money owed on them so make an offer and let them sit on it. For the money you are talking, that comes close to a new bike without the financing. Look around and find the best deal for you that is afordable and don't jump at the first thing you see. If you make them an offer and they don't accept it, start to bargain for some extra things that are worth some $$$ that would interest you. If they still refuse, walk out but make sure they have your contact info first. Let them sleep on it after they know that you are interested bu at a better price.

Trade in on that bike is $8,680 and regardless of what they tell you, they didn't pay for the extras on the bike. They say they do but they don't. They pay wholesale prices.

Post a reply, I want to see the pics>:D

Thanks Glider,
YEa, they want too much in my opinion. That's too close to a new purchase price on that bike! But it is clean! And I like the styling alot! And I love the color too!
They say they will deal, but how much I am not sure........

Is the 5 year warrantee worth the money? I am guessing each dealer sets their own warrantee prices?????

I paid $12,900 last year for my 07 and they shipped it 1500miles for me,so I think that is out of line JMO

Warranty prices are also negotiable, they don't like to but they are. It depends on your skills to do the work if it is worth it or not. I don't know if they will give you a warranty on a 2001 bike.

Glider,
That price includes a 1 year warrantee. I can buy up to 5 years if I want to pay the bill! Ok, let me try a picture again.

I am thinking to offer 10,500.00 out the door less financing.

Glider,
Thanks. Ok, here is a few pictures of the LUV MACHEEEEN!
VP1218909_3_thumb.jpg

Back