free website stats program Road Etiquette | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Etiquette

When passing somebody waiting to pull out, I give them the 'wave'. When meeting them at a stoplight or turning in front of them, or them in front of me, I give them the nod. Meeting them on the road. I give them the 'salute'. How they respond is their business. It doesn't matter what make it is too me.

On the bike comming home from work Tuesday night (took the long way home)....I passed a gas station where a guy on a Fat Boy was waiting to pull out. I waved as I went by. He pulled out and came my way, hard and fast. I was making a right shortly so I moved to the right and motioned him up along side. He rolled past and cracked the throttle a few times, bike was loud and backfired several times just a few feet in front of me. OK, no big deal but it was loud enough to hurt my ears. Made my turn and came on home.

I got to wondering how HDTALKING riders approach other riders on the road? What are your thoughts, experiences.

I prescribe to the "do unto others as you'd have others do unto you" way.
Life's too short to be a jerk all the time so treating others with respect and kindness tends to work for me; unless they prove to be not worthy of respect or kindness, then I just avoid them.:p

I prescribe to the "do unto others as you'd have others do unto you" way.
Life's too short to be a jerk all the time so treating others with respect and kindness tends to work for me; unless they prove to be not worthy of respect or kindness, then I just avoid them.:p

Yep...good answer. The only problem is that what I think is a good way to be treated, others may not agree with. Life is to short, an easy going attitude of 'whatever' and just move on seems to be less stressful.

I wave to everyone, whether its a scooter or a 3 wheeler...as far as cracking the throttle right in front of you, thats just rude.. he knows his pipes are loud and will hurt your ears..

Seems the overall opinion is to approach with respect and courtesy, and to avoid if necessary. Life is too short and the weather too nice not to enjoy the ride.

Guess I failed....

Should have got him to stop so I could have pointed him in the direction of HDTALKING,

I sure someone here could have helped him get his bike tunned correctly or helped him find his intake or exhaust gasket leak........Yea not very biker friendly of me

LOL thanks everyone!

We've had a streak of good days to ride which tends to bring out the worst in some people. Especially after a long winter with a lot of snow.

Seen some fellas doing some stunting on their sport bikes and some Harleys clearing out the cob webs. I just ignor them and keep to my own business. I wave when I have a chance but, don't go out of my way.

I prefer to ride alone unless I personally know the other riders. It's not you, it's me, honest!

Last edited:
Back