free website stats program Road Etiquette | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Etiquette

Locke

On the bike comming home from work Tuesday night (took the long way home)....I passed a gas station where a guy on a Fat Boy was waiting to pull out. I waved as I went by. He pulled out and came my way, hard and fast. I was making a right shortly so I moved to the right and motioned him up along side. He rolled past and cracked the throttle a few times, bike was loud and backfired several times just a few feet in front of me. OK, no big deal but it was loud enough to hurt my ears. Made my turn and came on home.

I got to wondering how HDTALKING riders approach other riders on the road? What are your thoughts, experiences.

As a general rule, I don't expect too much out of people. However, I almost always give the biker salute to other bikers whether they salute me or not.

They're out there....it's real bad at any big rally. I'd rather deal with rude bikers than young teenage drivers on cell phones.

I always ride staggered, do not like riding side by side. If I come up on a bike that I need to pass, I give him the same respect I give any vehicle and I wait until traffic clears enough and pass in the other lane and I expect the same from any bike wanting to pass me.

If a bike in front of me is too noisey for my liking, I either pass him or back off to a distance where the noise isn't so annoying. I figure it's his bike, if he likes it loud that's fine by me, I just don't want to have to listen to it. Must be getting old...lol

They're out there....it's real bad at any big rally. I'd rather deal with rude bikers than young teenage drivers on cell phones.

....Or people on cell phones. I had 2 pull in front of me this morning while riding to work. :newsmile055:

I got to wondering how HDTALKING riders approach other riders on the road? What are your thoughts, experiences.

I normally give "strangers" lots of room either staying in front several lengths or dropping back after they pass. I prefer they don't split my lane.

I always ride staggered, do not like riding side by side. If I come up on a bike that I need to pass, I give him the same respect I give any vehicle and I wait until traffic clears enough and pass in the other lane and I expect the same from any bike wanting to pass me.

If a bike in front of me is too noisey for my liking, I either pass him or back off to a distance where the noise isn't so annoying. I figure it's his bike, if he likes it loud that's fine by me, I just don't want to have to listen to it. Must be getting old...lol

I agree with Troy...when passing a fellow rider go into the other lane when safe to do so. Can't tell you how "inappropriate passing" unannounced in your lane is "RUDE"...remember couple of sportbikes lane splitting who basically passed me on either side when I was riding my 550cc Maxim in the 80's, almost made me drop the bike right there. :newsmile055:

Had 2 guys on HD Baggers enter the freeway last week as I was enjoying a nice 70 mph ride. First rider did good and accelerated past me before merge lane ended. The 2nd guy though was impatient. He didn't have enough lane to merge ahead of me, and didn't want to take the extra 5 seconds. So instead of pulling in behind me then moving to left lane to pass, he flew past me on the shoulder. I'm glad no debris or stones flew at me with the dust I was not impressed and said a couple of choice words.

Back