free website stats program Removal of wheel bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Removal of wheel bearings

trickydoc

bad front wheel bearings in the ultra. got the wheel off and have a blind hole bearing puller. I think the bearing has spun inside the wheel. puller will not remove it. before I apply heat to my wheel, (cast spoke tubless type). will this heat discolor or damage my wheel. anyone have any experience with this. right bearing will turn with some difficulty, cannot manually turn the left bearing. neither will come out. getting ready to add the heat, just wonderiing if it will kill my wheel. thanks. tricky

What do you mean the bearing has spun. If that happened, the outer race would be loose. Why can't the blind hole puller get it out. More detail.

Are you using a puller Bridge or slide hammer puller..

Are you expanding the blind hole puller at EXACTLY where the sleeve and inner bearing race meet?

You will not heat the hub until it is cherry. Just warm with a torch moving it continuously and you will have no problem with discolouration and the bearing should come out easily
kemo

That brings up another question I always have had. Why aren't stock HD wheels urethane clear coated like most all other wheels in the world.
I would have thought they would be but they are not.

What do you mean the bearing has spun. If that happened, the outer race would be loose. Why can't the blind hole puller get it out. More detail.

Are you expanding the blind hole puller at EXACTLY where the sleeve and inner bearing race meet?

If this is the sealed bearing it is possible the outer race is galled in the hub, with constant pressure with the puller and a bit of heat it should come out.I would check the inner hub close for scoring and clean it up good :s

I am happy that the wheels are not clear coated. The clear coating gets chipped with stones and road debris and then it starts to yellow and looks terrible (I got to watch my words). Hard enough to keep the wheels looking decent.
kemo

I am happy that the wheels are not clear coated. The clear coating gets chipped with stones and road debris and then it starts to yellow and looks terrible (I got to watch my words). Hard enough to keep the wheels looking decent.
kemo

Wow. The process they use on caged wheels (ford,GM) seems to hold up pretty well. Maybe they are recessed enough and protected by the tires/fenders to be shielded by stones and road chips..

But your right, once they chip it is a big mess and near impossible to make right again without a big ordeal.

In Canada it is the weather that gets at the wheel after the stone chips the clear coat. They aluminum will start to corrode and the corrosion will sneak into the bead area and the tire constantly loses air because it can not seal then you have to buff all the corrosion off and then some time the bead is pitted so bad you still can not seal the tire.
kemo

I have sealed bearings without race. wheel bearing sets tight against the inner spacer and the puller cannot get a grip. oh its a slide puller.

You will not heat the hub until it is cherry. Just warm with a torch moving it continuously and you will have no problem with discolouration and the bearing should come out easily
kemo

thanks kemo, thought the heat would work just didn't know bout the wheel, didn't want to ruin one by being stupid. ask before applying flame.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many miles on the bearings? Raises a question....how often in miles should wheel bearings be checked?

Back