free website stats program Removal of wheel bearings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Removal of wheel bearings

I have sealed bearings without race. wheel bearing sets tight against the inner spacer and the puller cannot get a grip. oh its a slide puller.

thanks kemo, thought the heat would work just didn't know bout the wheel, didn't want to ruin one by being stupid. ask before applying flame.

you may have to use a shop press and be very careful how you jig it to get that stubborn gearing out if not you may try a threaded rod and double nuts with a heavy washer the same diameter as the bearing. On the other side of the wheel a piece of pipe large enough for the bearing to pass into, washers and nut, begin tightening nuts until bearing pulls thru into the pipe, you have made a puller and it will work. I have pulled many bearings and bushings this way, Good Luck:s

How many miles on the bearings? Raises a question....how often in miles should wheel bearings be checked?

Unless you hear a unfamiliar noise from the wheel, I check mine when I have the bike on a lift, or am replacing tires. Bearings can last a very long time when properly built & installed, but if you're unlucky & get a bad one not long at all... usually a bearing will give a little notice when it's about to go.

Jack, don't think there is a way to use a press.
the milage on my scoot is a little over 50k, but don't know how many are on the bearings. First thing noticed was a new noise comming from my front wheel. only heard it when turning to the left. asked all my buddies, including the MMI grad and the owner of my local shop. they gave several answers, cupped wheel, brake pad rubbing the rotor, to your just hearing things. pulled the wheel myself to get the real answer.

try a threaded rod and double nuts with a heavy washer the same diameter as the bearing. On the other side of the wheel a piece of pipe large enough for the bearing to pass into, washers and nut, begin tightening nuts until bearing pulls thru into the pipe,

I'm a little confused with this puller. Are you saying to pull the left side wheel bearing all the way thru the hub and out the right side of the wheel thereby removing all bearings and spacers from the hub?

Is this possible with all hubs? Are some hubs machined with a lip inside for the bearing to sit against?

Just trying to learn as I'm sure I'll be pulling my wheel bearings myself sometime in the future.

Thanks for the information :)

Jack, don't think there is a way to use a press.

Don't think you can because there is a spacer sleeve between the the two bearings. You may have to get the puller for these either from HD or one of the third-party tool makers (Jims, George's Garage).

TQ

I use a 1/2" threaded rod and the old bearings to pull the new bearings in. I start a bearing on one side and install the sleeve and start the other bearing. Using an old bearing on the outsides of the new bearing I tighten the nuts on the threaded rod until the bearings seat.
kemo

I'm a little confused with this puller. Are you saying to pull the left side wheel bearing all the way thru the hub and out the right side of the wheel thereby removing all bearings and spacers from the hub?

Is this possible with all hubs? Are some hubs machined with a lip inside for the bearing to sit against?

Just trying to learn as I'm sure I'll be pulling my wheel bearings myself sometime in the future.

Thanks for the information :)

each bearing pulls from side the bearing is on, there is no way to pull a bearing through the wheel. each bearing sets in a cup on the wheel with a spacer through the center of the hub. when installed this spacer mates to the back of each bearing. this makes the hole in the bearings, through the spacer, and out the other bearing the same size. there is no way to grip the bearing from the back with a normal puller, (no shoulder on the bearing). hence the "blind hole puller". normally these will pull out with the puller, my problem was the bearing had turned inside the cup and seized up. hope this helps with your understanding of this.

I use a 1/2" threaded rod and the old bearings to pull the new bearings in. I start a bearing on one side and install the sleeve and start the other bearing. Using an old bearing on the outsides of the new bearing I tighten the nuts on the threaded rod until the bearings seat.
kemo

thanks kemo. that's about what I did. I have a bearing tool that I used when in the dumptruck business, it worked perfectly.
the left bearing had turned in the cup, but did not damage it very bad. cleaned it out and it just had a few marks where the bearing had slipped but not deep just surface marks. the heat did the trick. thanks again.
tricky

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks doc...your explaination is the same as my understanding of pulling bearings. What I'm confused about is Jack's threaded rod puller especially where he says to place the large pipe on the "other side" of the wheel...unless he's talking about removing the left side bearing after the right side bearing and spacer have already been removed....that I would understand.

Just trying to understand Jack's threaded puller as I like homemade tools :)

Thanks kemo for the information on the threaded bearing installer :)

The blind bearing puller usually doesnt work as the bearings are a press fit and the slide hammer isnt enough to remove them. if you want to use the blind bearing puller you will have to make a bigger slide hammer or possibly make a cup of some sort to use the threads on the puller to pull the bearing out. or go TQ's route and get an actuall wheel bearing puller.

Back