free website stats program rear shifter arm | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear shifter arm

I still havent decided,,,, i and a buddy are going to do the job, I am soso he is a certified machanic in big trucks, yes i know its a biggggg diff, but his machical back ground will go far. (he does have the same bike model and year as mine) I also he 2 buddies who have done this job and have offered their help if we call on them. My thought now is,,,, do i buy the stock arm 50 bucks,,,, or do I go better lever 180.00 bucks. I just spent a alot of money on windows for the house, and dont have the 180 right now, 50 is kinda hard to come up with. Bike has 34 g on it and if the stock gets me another 34 g i would be happy. I would like to wait till i get the arm off and look at the splines on the shaft and decide, but dont want to wait for shipping then. O the thought cost of having a bike ! LOL

Why not stop at the local Harley shop and see they are usually just laying around for guys put custom levers on. Or maybe they have the rear one from a Bagger for some guys remove the rear. As to removal once bolt is out you may need to gently tap a chisel in the split to spread clamp apart from excessive tighten before and there is usually a little lip to keep it from sliding off shaft. If strapped for cash you could always just remove the rear one and only have the front shifter arm.....:s

Why not stop at the local Harley shop and see they are usually just laying around for guys put custom levers on. Or maybe they have the rear one from a Bagger for some guys remove the rear. As to removal once bolt is out you may need to gently tap a chisel in the split to spread clamp apart from excessive tighten before and there is usually a little lip to keep it from sliding off shaft. If strapped for cash you could always just remove the rear one and only have the front shifter arm.....:s

dbmg,
I believe he is referring to the shifter arm on the shaft of the tranny that is between the primary and tranny.

As for buying the better lever and not pulling the primary???? I dont see how to get the arm off without pulling it.... there is NO room to pull the arm out. and for the better lever???? I dont see how to hold the bottom part in place to get the 2 bolts started !

Better Lever's instructions say to use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut the old lever on the opposite side of the pinch. Once cut all the way through the old lever will fall off. Patience is the key to getting the two bolts started while hold the better lever in place. Four hands will help too.:)
J&P has one for half the HD price.

Chrome Transmission Shift Lever | 6000471 | JP Cycles

Last edited:
Getting in here a little Late.

I usually take out the bolt and either use a hack-saw or dremmal cut-off wheel to Evenly remove some of the material out, BETWEEN pinch area of the clamp. Removing some material allows the bolt to pinch Again Tightly (gap seen after tight), pulling clamp Splines like it were new.:D

Most of these shifter arms Stretch loose as they get used, then the material in-between the bolt Touches before the clamp-splines have a chance to tighten. Removing about a 1/16" does the trick.

Yes , tough to remove but if you do, putting old in a vice with the bolt removed and pinching together THEN using a hack saw, removing Most of the material in one cut, can be accomplished.

Hope this helps.One of the above paragraphs above should get results..

signed....BUBBIE

geeeee thx for all the ideas and thoughts,,,,,, I went to the hd shop today bought all the gaskets and ordered the lever, bubbie I never thought about jp but not going to cancel the order. now just need to get everyone with a day off and give it a whirl. i am just a lil concerned about the shaft. I dont think it has a spline problem but ya never kno till ya get in there. if there is well then the project gets a hold till i get the new better lever. thx again will let ya all kno

I'm looking at the same repair on my 03 Ultra. I think I'm going Better Lever even though it appears to be overpriced in my opinion.

geeeee thx for all the ideas and thoughts,,,,,, I went to the hd shop today bought all the gaskets and ordered the lever, bubbie I never thought about jp but not going to cancel the order. now just need to get everyone with a day off and give it a whirl. i am just a lil concerned about the shaft. I dont think it has a spline problem but ya never kno till ya get in there. if there is well then the project gets a hold till i get the new better lever. thx again will let ya all kno

It usually takes a lot of abuse to mess up the shaft. The lever is of softer material than the shaft, another reason to be careful with the Stainless Better Lever.

After reading this thread I checked mine and sure enough it was loose and wobbled on the shaft. I cranked it down good and tight and now it's good as new.:D

Ok,,,,, I did go with the better lever and it came in thursday, i finished taking the old one off with a dremel (note to u who are planning this with the dynas, TAKE THE COIL OFF) frees up alot of room to work with. after i cut the old off and cleaned the area up of metal dust. I used a magnet. the new one went on in a hurry 3 hours to take old off 10 mins to put new on, Glad that is over, went for a ride as soon as and felt great lever didnt budge, and went for a longer ride today and still works great . time will tell but I am sure of this one. If your rear shifter lever is getting sloppy spend the money and fix the issue with the better lever .com costly but it is nice. happy trails to all great riding,,, and remember NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST !

Back