free website stats program rear shifter arm | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear shifter arm

Ok update,,,,,, I did go with the better lever and did grind the old lever out as it was about the only way i could, i didnt have the room to get the dremel in there with a cutting disc, but I think what happen was all the vibrations ( i did hit the pawl shaft with the dremel) well now I have oil dripping from the tranny, I am 90% sure thats where it is coming from. So my questions is,,,,,,, I think it is the seal for the pawl shaft, ((lever shaft)) Can I replace that seal with out removing the inner primary or the tranny itself?

Ok update,,,,,, I did go with the better lever and did grind the old lever out as it was about the only way i could, i didnt have the room to get the dremel in there with a cutting disc, but I think what happen was all the vibrations ( i did hit the pawl shaft with the dremel) well now I have oil dripping from the tranny, I am 90% sure thats where it is coming from. So my questions is,,,,,,, I think it is the seal for the pawl shaft, ((lever shaft)) Can I replace that seal with out removing the inner primary or the tranny itself?

That would be a real trick if you could, there is not enough working room IMO

I doubt that you could successfully pull the old seal and seat the new one properly with the primary in place. I wonder if the heat created from grinding has anything to do with it? Let us know how this works out for you in the end and what you did. This may just be another reason to pull the primary for lever changes.

This is an old post by now but it was a big help last night. We rode to Yosemite last weekend. I figured everybodies shifter flopped around like mine. But, no, everyone else's was snug. I looked and sure enough, the rear shift lever was loose on the transmission shaft.
I was expecting the worse, but gave the easy, cheap method a try first. I removed the bolt, squirted some brake fluid down where the shaft is to clean the accumulated oil/grime off the lever and shaft, put blue locktite on it and tightened the bolt in with socket/hex and a "little extra". Sure enough if it's nice and tight now.

Happy it helped ya. That's the point of this place. To share information and leave it for someone else to benefit later.

I had the loose rear shifter leaver on my 1990 Tour Glide. I went to HD dealer in Roanoke Rapids, NC and he said lots of work .. or maybe some luck will get me home.
Now I was stuck 175 miles from all the tools to do the job +. My 1990 Tour Glide had a 1//4" allen bolt (stock as far as I knew). Found one on the floor of a guys truck (lucky) and loosened it up all the way. I bent a cheep screwdriver 90 degrees to reach down and spread the pinch gap as much as I could with what I had. I found a piece of stainless steel wire (10-14") and pounded it between 2 smooth rocks as thin as I could at one end. I but a 90 degree bend at the thin end and slid it in between the shift shaft and the rear leaver(this took some wiggling) the hard part was to cut off the wire down there. My Leatherman did that job for me. I tightened it as much as I could with the small allen wrench I had and the Leatherman Tool.
It is still tight and right. I need to fix it right because I like reliability and now my transmission is leaking ,Yuck!

I did get my bike to a shed by using a blue windshield rag from a gas station and a twig I pounded down between the rear shifter leaver and the inner primary cover. Don't JAMB the belt though you can see it there.

Back