free website stats program rear shifter arm | Harley Davidson Forums

rear shifter arm

fredm1130

I have a 2004 dyna low rider, I noticed this spring that the rear shifter arm is very loose, tried to tighten it as much as i could without breakin the bolt. It took some of the slack away but not all. Is it nessary to remove the primary to get the rear shifter arm off? I read on a site that the bolt may have stretched, and a new bolt would give a better sqeeze on the transmission shaft,,,,, Any ideas ???? come on guys i need some help,,,,,

I have a 2004 dyna low rider, I noticed this spring that the rear shifter arm is very loose, tried to tighten it as much as i could without breakin the bolt. It took some of the slack away but not all. Is it nessary to remove the primary to get the rear shifter arm off? I read on a site that the bolt may have stretched, and a new bolt would give a better sqeeze on the transmission shaft,,,,, Any ideas ???? come on guys i need some help,,,,,

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-28008.html maybe look here:s

Jack has got you covered. The Better Lever is a fix for your problem.

I had to replace mine. If not going the Better Lever route, you will have to pull the primary. Not a hard job, just takes some time and a good gasket kit. The Better Lever is an expensive option vs. pulling the primary yourself. The Better Lever seems to have had some supply issues as well, they arent always available.

Well after looking into it more I have noticed that the shifter arm (clamps onto the tranny shaft) doesnt seem to be worn, (splines) as I can move the arm back and forth and see the splines, i bought a new hardened bolt to tighten the arm and it still slides back and forth. yes I did reef on it good. Have a friend that is a machanic for big trucks, and he says that he thinks we can do this. course will need to take extra time. But I am thinking when i do get the primary off i will replace the arm with the better clamp. and a auto chain tentioner. I do like the idea of the better clamp. But my thought here, is why can I slide the shifter arm back and forth, no matter how much i tighten the bolt ? Anyone have a tought? Thank you all !

The splines on the shifter lever can look good but br worn. I possible remove front shifter arm and install in place of rear and see what happens.....:s

I agree with dbmg the shifter arm splines are worn and the area between the "pinch" section on the arm is touching because the bolt has tightened it that far. There is just no more tightening room left. I've heard of guys cutting a piece of beer can and loosening up the lever, opening the pinch and sliding the piece of aluminum can around the splines and tightening the bolt back up. This takes up some space to allow the pinch to open up and the bolt something to tighten to.
Keep in mind that if the splines on the tranny shaft are compromised, you will then be going into the tranny. The Better Lever is stainless and if starts to loosen it will eat that tranny shaft up in no time. So the actual stock lever is sort of sacrificial in a way that it may give you a second chance before opening up that tranny.
Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

I still havent decided,,,, i and a buddy are going to do the job, I am soso he is a certified machanic in big trucks, yes i know its a biggggg diff, but his machical back ground will go far. (he does have the same bike model and year as mine) I also he 2 buddies who have done this job and have offered their help if we call on them. My thought now is,,,, do i buy the stock arm 50 bucks,,,, or do I go better lever 180.00 bucks. I just spent a alot of money on windows for the house, and dont have the 180 right now, 50 is kinda hard to come up with. Bike has 34 g on it and if the stock gets me another 34 g i would be happy. I would like to wait till i get the arm off and look at the splines on the shaft and decide, but dont want to wait for shipping then. O the thought cost of having a bike ! LOL

As for buying the better lever and not pulling the primary???? I dont see how to get the arm off without pulling it.... there is NO room to pull the arm out. and for the better lever???? I dont see how to hold the bottom part in place to get the 2 bolts started !

I still havent decided,,,, i and a buddy are going to do the job, I am soso he is a certified machanic in big trucks, yes i know its a biggggg diff, but his machical back ground will go far. (he does have the same bike model and year as mine) I also he 2 buddies who have done this job and have offered their help if we call on them. My thought now is,,,, do i buy the stock arm 50 bucks,,,, or do I go better lever 180.00 bucks. I just spent a alot of money on windows for the house, and dont have the 180 right now, 50 is kinda hard to come up with. Bike has 34 g on it and if the stock gets me another 34 g i would be happy. I would like to wait till i get the arm off and look at the splines on the shaft and decide, but dont want to wait for shipping then. O the thought cost of having a bike ! LOL

If the splines are OK use the stock arm if $$ is the issue, I dont like it but you can put alot of loctite on the shaft to tighten things up a bit during assembly, Grab the shaft and make sure there is NOT too much end play and up and down play also Good Luck:s

Back