free website stats program rear braking | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear braking

Just a tiny tip on two up riding,,, have the passenger's head over your left shoulder when stopping. A passenger eyeballing the planet when stopping can shift the weight around causing you to redirect your footing. With your passenger's head alway over your left WHEN stopping each stop will be predictable. Mind you the light passenger, such as my wife, they can crawl around a little more back there at low speed than say a more voluptious woman.. and if it's a man on the back, well that's just wrong.:newsmile090:

One of the advantages of the oil wetted clutch was adding a certain level of new friction material technology and cooling to allow more fault tolerant slipping of the clutch for better control and longer clutch life...as opposed to the older "dry clutch" materials used in cages, performance racing machines and the older Harleys around the 70's and earlier when clutch life was secondary to clutch performance and clutch drag losses...!

hey bfmitch ...
just wanted to thank you for the tip about the Ride Like A Pro dvd.
just got it & watched it and realized how much i have to learn after 15 years of riding.
this will be very helpful.
many thanks ...

I really recommend that you buy the "Ride Like A Pro" DVD by Jerry Paladino. He teaches the same techniques taught in police motor courses. His presentation is a little corny at times but you will be surprised at what you can do with a big bike if you know how. As for having never used the rear brake, I'm guessing your Beemer has linked brakes and you have been using the rear one without knowing it. Try just grabbing only a handfull of front break with your Harley and you will high-side the bike in a heartbeat.

John

OOPS, I see that you already did get the DVD!

Not sure I saw an answer about HOW to stop correctly in a slow, tight turn without dropping it. I ride a Softail Deluxe and am small in stature. I've dropped her twice in slow, tight turns and am now nervous. My driveway is steep with a side-entrance garage so I have to do these slow, tight turns everytime I ride. I've taken to duck walking at the top of my drive, which is not the right way. Will just using my back breaks in this situation keep my upright?

Lucy,
Go to a parking lot, preferably empty or nearly so. Start off riding in a straight line at slow speed. Keep the clutch at a friction point where you can feel the clutch pulling but also slipping. At the same time ride the rear brake lightly. You will be surprised at how slowly you can move forward while still remaining upright and keeping your feet on the boards or pegs. Next do the same thing but do slow S-turns. Turn your head and look where you want to go. Never look down. Again, that combination of clutch feathering and light braking will amaze you with how much control you have. When you have gained confidence move on to making U-turns. Look way around at where you want to end up, feather the clutch and brake, and ride there. Before long you will be doing it like an expert. It's all in the clutch and rear brake control. Never use the front brake. Many riders take pride in how fast they ride. I take pride in how slow I can go and still remain in control.

John

Not sure I saw an answer about HOW to stop correctly in a slow, tight turn without dropping it. I ride a Softail Deluxe and am small in stature. I've dropped her twice in slow, tight turns and am now nervous. My driveway is steep with a side-entrance garage so I have to do these slow, tight turns every time I ride. I've taken to duck walking at the top of my drive, which is not the right way. Will just using my back brakes in this situation keep my upright?

Not by itself...use StormRiders' tip of using the clutch friction zone (where the clutch just starts to grip), driving rear wheel keeping the "Wheels in Motion" and use the rear brake only if movement is too fast, just keep your motions and controls SMOOTH, if you need to slow down further. An empty parking lot is a good place to practice and I highly recommend doing this at the beginning of the Spring riding season...to brush up you skills that were in "hibernation" over the winter. :s

Practice being able to keep your head up looking around the turn and actually turning the steering "to the lock" (end of travel) to minimize the circumference of the turn, using the friction zone clutch work and rear brake as needed. You will be amazed how tight a turn you can make while putting weight on the pegs and leaning the bike as well. :p

Just before you complete the turn, give a little gas and release the clutch and the bike literally stands it self up. It should feel the same, with similar feel as when making a 90 degree turn. As your confidence builds, you should be able to do the turns slightly faster, balance control with what feels steady. You should be able to do a U-turn with confidence and with just a little braking, or clutch work, practice makes "perfect". :D

Back