free website stats program rear braking | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear braking

For effective braking you use both brakes,your rear brake on a cruiser is still only 40% of your stopping power.Its very easy to get used to just pushing that big brake pedal,but you are increasing your stopping distance and in a panic situation you are going to lose!

Braking should be as follows.Front 90 percent /rear 10 percent.As you slow to a stop it should change to rear 90-100 percent/front 10-0 percent.When the front suspension compresses at speed you have more weight on your front tire and less on your rear .As you slow gently to a stop you will gradually even out.When performing slow speed maneuvers it is helpful to slip the clutch a little and drag the rear brake.At that point you can release the clutch a little or press the brake a little as needed.

thanks to everyone. this was very interesting to me.
i guess i got used to that BMW front telelever with no dive & therefore never felt threatened using the front break so much. i'm going to work on my technique.
i'm not a hard rider -- don't tear up corners, etc. tend to be on the safer side when riding & stay within (what i think) are my limits.
but i'll tell ya: rode that RKC on the test ride -- only used front breaks -- &, man, that was one beautiful, smooth ride. like butter! felt very much in control of the bike. even did some slow parking lot maneuvers when we pulled back into the dealership just to test it out. all was extraordinary.
right now i'm feeling lucky i didn't happen to grab a bunch of front break while pulling that slow u-turn in the dealer parking lot!!
but that was luck. thanks to you guys i want to make sure it turns to technique.

cheers.

You should always use both brakes for optimum stopping and control. If you've been riding fro a long time and rarely use you rear brakes I'm surprised you're still around to talk about it.

Pardon my intrusion; but that's a rude comment to someone asking a legitimate question. And, your statement is NOT universally true. It is true in straight-line stopping. But, as others have said, in slow turns you want to be off the front brake completely.

And, since the vast majority (70-90% depending on the source you read) of braking comes from the front brake, using it as the primary stop input is certainly not a guaranteed recipe for disaster. The rear brake helps in a quick stop; but not using it doesn't condemn one to "not being around to talk about it."

I tend to use the Rear Brake more because I find it easier to control, I have it down pretty good after reading about using the Brakes and Practicing. I will use the Front also if I really have to Stop Fast, The ABS Brakes are Awesome!
I also made U Turns with No Problems!

2009 Road Glide - Red Sunglo

If you're interested in riding technique and want to learn how to do tight U-turns with your new RKC, get the "Ride Like A Pro" DVD. They'll show you how to do it and show you how to use the rear brake while making low speed manuevers.

That DVD changed the way I ride; for the better.

I've got to agree - the "Ride like a Pro" DVD will teach you how to properly use the rear brake in turns and slow-tight maneuvers. If you keep the bike in the Friction zone (clutch partially engaged), put pressure on the rear brake (only) and put power to the throttle - the bike will want to stay up and you are able to have great control in turns at slow speed. On straight aways, apply both front and back.

Back