free website stats program rear braking | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear braking

hey bfmitch ...
just wanted to thank you for the tip about the Ride Like A Pro dvd.
just got it & watched it and realized how much i have to learn after 15 years of riding.
this will be very helpful.
many thanks ...

You're welcome!

I, accidently, learned some of the technique 37 years ago when I had to borrow a friends motorcycle to take my road test. Her idle was set too high and I had to slip the clutch to get my cirles and eights done. However, I never combined that with the rear brake the way Paladino teaches it.

Thanks for the input. I did this in the Motorcycle Safety Class successfully and agree I should practice more. My issue now is that my driveway is so steep that I have to be moving at a decent clip to get to the top and then make a quick turn left into the garage (or end up running into a hill). I've been stopping while still in a straight line and them slowly duck walking while turning..... Duh! Just got it. Stop in the straight line and then use the slow turn with feathered clutch and rear break instead of the duck walk. I guess I just had to "hear" you say it and then work through it in my head. Thanks for the help!

If you have a question about riding a motorcycle, might I suggest the book Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough The book gives basic understanding on physics involved in riding a motorcycle (regardless of brand). Recommended for beginner and more advanced riders who want to know more.

I'm learning ( unlearning past stopping techniques when I had an 83 Roadster) to leave that front brake alone the last few feet of a stop...Concentrating on the total stop with the foot brake . At 5'7, with an 01 Ultra, it's the stops that have me with the jitters. Alone, I'm ok...with a passenger, my stops are half decent and half lousy. I haven't gone down yet, but, close. More parking lot practice with my wife riding back seat. With my boots ( River Road), I can flat-foot but not much 'spread'. I try to angle my feet outward to gain a few more inches of stability. Other than the stops, it's the sweetest bike I've ever owned.

I'm 5' 7" also and had the same concerns. After dropping mine at a stop with a passenger and luggage I had the lowered using the HD kits. Now it's like a street glide heightwise and with pullback bars, a back rest, and new boots with slightly thicker soles, I could not be happier or more comfortable.

Back