free website stats program Question about Deli Meat Slicing Machines.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about Deli Meat Slicing Machines..

Hoople

Account Removed
Would any one out there work in the Deli department of a Public's Supermarket or happen to repair or know about Deli cold-cut slicing machines.?

What I want to know is if the thickness dial is an actual vernier and has .001" thickness readings on it.
It seems every time I go into Public's and buy a pound of sliced ham, the women does not understand what the word THIN means. I told her I would like it cut THIN. That's T-H-I-N... She shows me a slice and I say "No THINNER". I get home and now I have a pound of cardboard slices.

I want to know if those thickness dials are calibrated in 1/1000" of an inch. This way I can just go in and just say I want 1 lb of sliced ham with .008" thick slices or whatever the measurement may be. I have to put this problem to an end. Would any one know how those dials are printed up? It is driving me wacky. A store manager, a Deli person, a machine repair guy,,anyone Please help.

I know what you mean, I make them give me a slice how they are going to cut it and if it's not thin enough I tell them "thinner" and get another slice till it's what I want, THEN they can slice it for me. :D

I doubt the dials are calibrated but they should have numbers on them for the thickness (1-2-3-4-5). Ask what number it was sliced on and then you can tell them next trip how you want it done.

tn254s3.jpg

Last edited:
I would talk to the deli manager and ask him how you should order your meat sliced so you get the meat the way you want it. I liked what Glider said about making them give him a sample until it comes out the way he requests. Down here in Texas, when you order it "shaved" it comes out in hair thin clumps (not slices).

I hope you get what you want to resolve your deli purchasing endeavour.

That really Helps. Great Info & Thank you! That is exactly what I will do the next time I go.

What I really can't understand is why does the sandwich tastes better when the ham is thin. Same Ham,,Same Bread,, It should taste the same. But it doesn't!:p

Hoople, I must be easily entertained, but I have to say, that was one of the funniest pleas for assistance I have read in HDT. I wish I had the technical expertise to help you out. All I can confirm is 40 years ago I laid my finger open on one of those slicing machines and it took a few stitches to close it up. I can hardly wait to see the answers to your question! Heck, they are already pouring in.

That really Helps. Great Info & Thank you! That is exactly what I will do the next time I go.

What I really can't understand is why does the sandwich tastes better when the ham is thin. Same Ham,,Same Bread,, It should taste the same. But it doesn't!:p

It has more flavor because there is more surface area (the slice has two sides).:D

that was one of the funniest pleas for assistance I have read in HDT. .

I will tell you one thing. This Forum is Very Far reaching. When I think of all the talent, experience, knowledge and wisdom out there with 30,000 members I would bet there are not many questions that can not be answered. Somebody, somewhere has done it before.

And the best part is that I CAN ask an off the wall goofy question like this and not get flamed because the members understand me.:p:p

My solution was to buy my own slicer. They're not very expensive, you can slice the meat as thin as you want, and you choose the cut of meat. It saves tons of money since you can by a hunk of ham, roast beef, etc. or even cook your own. I can slice ham so thin you can see thru it!!! LOL

Back