Pushing the bike on its kickstand?

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by 5dollars, Dec 5, 2013.

1. 5dollars

5dollars Member

I was at the dealer one day and they were shuffling bikes around and pushing them backwards on their kickstand. How does this affect the kickstand? Anyone do this in their garage?

2. jamesearl

jamesearl Senior Member Contributor

Yep.Once the stand is locked in it can slide.I have to watch it on my driveway.It's slick so I have to position it,so it doesn't slide backwards.Or put it in gear.

3. 5dollars

5dollars Member

Ok,,ill give it a shot,thanks

4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

If I need to move the bike backwards a little, I seldom put the jiffy up. I just take the weight off it and let it drag.

5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I also do it this way like Breeze says....
    (looks like I'm following you around):D

I have the Big Lean on my 09 FLHR... Some came out with More Lean than the newer ones that year.

HD said in a memo to HD Dealers "If customer complains about leaning too far, install the corrected kickstand plate.) Not a true quote but close.
    (FREE ONLY while Under warranty) I just found this out:(

My bike will slide easily back with little straightening up. I do it all the time when needed... IF sliding it forward MORE Care must be given when letting it Back to the side stand ...Making Sure It IS INTO the Locked position and not off Half Cocked... I have found this out the hard way... Then Having to pick up the bike and RESET the kickstand...

Red Faced from the weight of the bike that would not leave quickly as the Embarrassment was there for quite a while also...

YES, even BUBBIE did this and more than once...:shock

signed....BUBBIE

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

We used to grab them by the back fender and slide them around, did not seem to hurt them that way

7. Nikko684

Nikko684 Active Member

lol, sounds like a game could be made of this lol.... I had a rather odd visual of a bunch of people whipping bikes around by the fenders....made me lol.

8. 5dollars

5dollars Member

Ya,,lets take it sturgis and whip some bikes around, loser walks home!!

9. mdouglas71

mdouglas71 Member

LOL. Dangerous game to play..

I've noticed the sliding, it isn't too much of a big deal. It doesn't damage the kickstand really..

10. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

I'm glad you got a visual of this, because if you know anything about Jack you know you will never see a picture.:newsmile100: